Author Topic: Slow flow pump recommendations?  (Read 9234 times)

SatyrTN

Slow flow pump recommendations?
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
Is it "Slow flow" or "low flow"?

Anyway, I'm looking for a pump for the following specs:

DC - I'd like to run this off of solar panels
30' head (or so - the water tower is still being built, but that's about the height)

Anyone have any similar situations, and recommendations for what pump I should look for?  My research so far has turned up the Dankoff pumps, at $1,500 or so, and that's a bit steep for my pocket book.  Hopefully there are other options :)

Thanks!
--SatyrTN

oneolddog

• I'm older than dirt but I'm still tryin to learn!
Re: Slow flow pump recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
Not sure what you're asking for.  Where is the pump going to be located in a well or above ground?  What is the source of the water?  If it's a submersible well pump you need check out the Shurflow 24vdc deep well pump.  It will put out 112 gallons at 230 foot of head.  $699.00 + shipping at Northern Tool on line or your local shurflow dealer.  Easy to run off the solar panels.
Ignorance is still bliss and the truth of the matter is what you believe,  even if it isn't true!

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
If only 30 feet a surflo 2088 would work.  At that head flow would only be 2gpm, but only about $70.  I have used pumps like this except 24V on 12V and they work fine if you find a deal.  Would consider running directly off panels 18V.  Tis would give higher efficiency.

PNW_Steve

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I have a similar question:

I collect rainwater for our household water supply. At times we simply don't get enough rain. I have been considering pumping water out of the creek in out back yard to use for toilet flushing, laundry and other uses that can safely be accommodated with water from the creek.

I could reduce my rainwater consumption by about 50% if I can manage this. The trouble that I am having is finding an affordable pump that will accommodate the 50+ foot lift required. Anything even remotely affordable that I have found will only accommodate 20'-33' lift.

It doesn't matter if it is slow or the pressure is low. I have a 275 gallon tank and would simply need to keep it topped off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 12:10:41 AM »
Search for Ram Pump; It's simple to build, and would cover your needs. :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

PNW_Steve

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 11:32:28 PM »
Search for Ram Pump; It's simple to build, and would cover your needs. :)

I looked at the ram pump and I don't think that it will work in my application. I would love to be wrong....

No usable head and when the creek flow is lower in the Summer I have to overcome a 20'+ shear vertical bank. In the winter the creek level can rise 16'+ over summer levels. See the pics below for a view of Summer vs Winter flows.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 12:38:07 AM »
With a 1" ram pump you would need a head of minimum 3-4 feet, and the intake pipe should be at least 10 feet long, and as long as 80 feet. (Twice that, if you use a standpipe halfway.) The lifting height would typically be 10-15 times the head.

I do see your problem with rising water levels in the winter, but the pump could be moved higher in the wintertime as the waterlevel in the creek rises; it's the height of the waterlevel at the intake vs the pump that matters. Besides, the ram pump should also work submersed; though, a bit impractical when it comes to maintenance... ;)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

PNW_Steve

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
With a 1" ram pump you would need a head of minimum 3-4 feet,

Exactly.

I can build a 1" ram pump. Unfortunately, I cannot build 3' of head....

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:24:12 PM »
2 low head pumps in series. Pump to a small tank with a washing machine style dual level float valve relay. When the tank is full the pump stops, then the second pump moves the water to the next tank, which only has a full level float. That is the one you draw from by gravity for toilets and the like. When the lower tank gets near empty the first pump turns on again.

PNW_Steve

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 10:06:17 PM »
2 low head pumps in series. Pump to a small tank with a washing machine style dual level float valve relay. When the tank is full the pump stops, then the second pump moves the water to the next tank, which only has a full level float. That is the one you draw from by gravity for toilets and the like. When the lower tank gets near empty the first pump turns on again.

That will definitely work. I had considered that but was hoping for a less complicated solution. I don't think that the gravity solution for supplying the house will work though. The toilet would be ok but the clothes washer water inlet is higher than the base of the water tank.

As I will need a supply pump that would put me at 3 pumps to supply the creek water to the toilet and clothes washer.  It is doable but I would love to come up with a simpler solution.

Thank you for your input.

Steve

I would be fine with as little as 10 gallons an hour (.17gpm) i

tanner0441

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:38 AM »
Hi

If cost is the main consideration , look at service pumps for RV or marine applications, 30 ft is only 1 bar about 30 PSIg so fall into the reliable mass produced pumps, also as stated multiple pumps with small header tanks and submersible marine bilge pumps, they're cheap and reliable and as long as you don't run them dry for too long very tolerant of abuse.

Brian

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »
Have you considered an air driven bubble pump, slow constant, low powered.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 01:51:25 AM »
see this is off grid stuff

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com