Remote Living > Water

Slow flow pump recommendations?

<< < (2/3) > >>

PNW_Steve:

--- Quote from: Simen on February 15, 2016, 12:10:41 AM ---Search for Ram Pump; It's simple to build, and would cover your needs. :)

--- End quote ---

I looked at the ram pump and I don't think that it will work in my application. I would love to be wrong....

No usable head and when the creek flow is lower in the Summer I have to overcome a 20'+ shear vertical bank. In the winter the creek level can rise 16'+ over summer levels. See the pics below for a view of Summer vs Winter flows.

Simen:
With a 1" ram pump you would need a head of minimum 3-4 feet, and the intake pipe should be at least 10 feet long, and as long as 80 feet. (Twice that, if you use a standpipe halfway.) The lifting height would typically be 10-15 times the head.

I do see your problem with rising water levels in the winter, but the pump could be moved higher in the wintertime as the waterlevel in the creek rises; it's the height of the waterlevel at the intake vs the pump that matters. Besides, the ram pump should also work submersed; though, a bit impractical when it comes to maintenance... ;)

PNW_Steve:

--- Quote from: Simen on February 18, 2016, 12:38:07 AM ---With a 1" ram pump you would need a head of minimum 3-4 feet,
--- End quote ---

Exactly.

I can build a 1" ram pump. Unfortunately, I cannot build 3' of head....

dnix71:
2 low head pumps in series. Pump to a small tank with a washing machine style dual level float valve relay. When the tank is full the pump stops, then the second pump moves the water to the next tank, which only has a full level float. That is the one you draw from by gravity for toilets and the like. When the lower tank gets near empty the first pump turns on again.

PNW_Steve:

--- Quote from: dnix71 on February 18, 2016, 08:24:12 PM ---2 low head pumps in series. Pump to a small tank with a washing machine style dual level float valve relay. When the tank is full the pump stops, then the second pump moves the water to the next tank, which only has a full level float. That is the one you draw from by gravity for toilets and the like. When the lower tank gets near empty the first pump turns on again.

--- End quote ---

That will definitely work. I had considered that but was hoping for a less complicated solution. I don't think that the gravity solution for supplying the house will work though. The toilet would be ok but the clothes washer water inlet is higher than the base of the water tank.

As I will need a supply pump that would put me at 3 pumps to supply the creek water to the toilet and clothes washer.  It is doable but I would love to come up with a simpler solution.

Thank you for your input.

Steve

I would be fine with as little as 10 gallons an hour (.17gpm) i

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version