Author Topic: solar pv straight to battery. observations.  (Read 2238 times)

bob golding

solar pv straight to battery. observations.
« on: May 23, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »
as my wind turbine is lying in a sad heap with broken blades at the moment,at least until i get around to fixing it later, i am running entirely on my 3 250 watt broken  panels at the moment. by broken i mean the glass on the front is smashed. they are still producing enough power to keep the charge controller led in the green most of the time. i also monitor the current from the panels to the batteries. noticed it is only putting around 6 amps into them even on a bright sunny day. as the bank is fully charged i am not too bothered about this but wondered how the controller  panels and battery internal resistance interact? i suspect it will be in a very complex way. anyone got any thoughts?

i am not intending to get a mppt controller as i can get another 1.5kw of panels for the same price.

just an idle thought before someone asks me why i am only getting 150 watts out of the panels. i know it more complex than that.

the panels  in short circuit produce around 20 amps BTW.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

gww

Re: solar pv straight to battery. observations.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:00:49 PM »
It would be interresting if you discharged your batteries and then saw what you got.
gww

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
Re: solar pv straight to battery. observations.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:16:50 PM »
I've put by a couple of 250w panels for my RE system and have just one connected at present, no MPPT controller, just plonked onto the system with a 15A fuse!!

Its a 60 cell (30v nominal) panel on a 24v system. I'm regularly seeing over 250w going into the battery bank when at the float voltage of 27.6v (AGM batteries) but before they are fully charged, especially first thing in the morning before the sun is 'face on' to the panel but while still cool (3C this morning).

As usual you can see what happens at http://gilks.ath.cx/cacti/graph_view.php?action=tree&tree_id=5 noting that if RPM = 0 then its all solar ;)

Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)