Author Topic: Total life of batteries  (Read 20158 times)

BillBlake

Re: Total life of batteries
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »
We have to go back to question # 1.

No jumping like kids playing hopscotch. No artificial confusion.

Learn to focus.

#1. Do batteries stand a better chance of being fully charged with

two, three or four days of Sun (Solar Charging) than in just one day of Sun?

Yes or No.

Bill Blake

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
I think I would say no. unless the charge cycle brought them to full charge in the first cycle then the following 2 or 3 days was simply to maintain or to balance or if the charge was in float .
 I don't' think the long overnight rest period does a battery any good if the charge cycle was not complete to full top off but this might also depend on if the batteries were at beginning of life or nearer to the end of life that would be my question should a charge routine be altered as the batteries get older.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
Bill

read this carefully, because i won't be repeating myself

i will answer this one question for you, then you will address the question i presented to you. should you decide not to, i am done with you and will consider you a troll or worse an idiot.

the choice of which will be mine.

your question:  "#1. Do batteries stand a better chance of being fully charged with two, three or four days of Sun (Solar Charging) than in just one day of Sun?  Yes or No.

my answer:  yes, no,  maybe and it depends!

it all depends on so many other variables that you seem oblivious to.

if i had a 1000amp hour battery that was depleted to 50% state of charge, and a 100watt solar panel, then "yes" i will certainly take far longer than a day to recharge the battery...

if on the other hand i  have a 100amp hour battery and it is depleted to 50% state of charge, and i have a 1000watt panel, then "no" it won't take 3 days to recharge the battery

but then again... and this is very important

what if you don't have good sun exposure? what if you have a week of cloud cover?  what about after a hail storm? then "maybe" you ought to consider other methods of charging? other charge regimes?

and equally important when it comes to system design

"it depends" on how your system is designed, to what level of discharge are you planning to take the battery bank as an example. what level of charging efficiency are you willing to accept, how many kw/hrs are you targeting over the life of the battery bank, how often does the battery bank really need to be fully recharged and still fully recover with periodic equalization, all of these questions would need to be answered (among many more) before you could determine how long it will take to effectively recharge your battery.

so there you have your answer, that being "yes, no,  maybe,
 and it depends"

so now it is your turn to focus, as hard as it might be for you to do so, go back and reread my prior example and lay out how your approach is superior to what everyone else on the planet is doing.

remember you are the one that claims everyone else has been doing it all wrong for the last 100 years!

bob g

ps.  lets both stop the useless rhetoric ok?  this sort of thing really adds nothing to the discussion, and at least as far as i am concerned it has no effect on me... the thing is that almost always and without exception, one that resorts to such tactics is soon proven to be very short on facts or does not have a clear grasp of what he is talking about.  i can play it either way, but thought i would at least offer the opportunity to make this a more productive discussion. Besides i have already been called every name in the book, after all i do have a nasty exwife, so there really is nothing you can call me that will have any affect on my ability to continue my end of the argument.

a good friend of mine once stated

"bob, don't argue with a pig, because soon you will learn that the pig loves it" 

i am not suggesting you are a pig, however i fully realize that i may be!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:14:43 AM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

BillBlake

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
Do I get a demotion or a pay cut if the free educational seminar is not presented
at your convenience - how you Likes it.

The revolutionary solar charging method was clearly stated for anyone who wishes to try it
as the years go by. It's working (exactly) with Sandia - not against them.

If you want a lot of free time out of me then a list of premises must get worked - my way.
Otherwise we leave it alone. You seem obsessed and confused with the method.

For me it's just another day working on matters much more important to myself and others.

I won't stoop to calling you names.  You mean absolutely nothing to me and never have.
Save the psychology. It won't work on a tough old bird like me.

Bill Blake

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
Bill

you have left me no choice but to conclude that you cannot support your claims.

and i will now exercise my option to determine exactly what you are.

you seem to have a problem relating your so called knowledge for free, when the reality is that (free) may in fact turn out to be too high a price for what it is.

i am done with you and this discussion, as far as i am concerned you have nothing new or unique to offer, and cannot demonstrate any superiority in either concept or intellect.

long ago an old man once told me
"over the years i have learned the most from the old guys that have tried it all, and from the newbie who has never tried it and sometimes comes up with a different way"

the old man never told me where to place you in the mix, perhaps he learned that there was nothing to be learned from such interactions?

i can only surmise this to be the case, as this interaction surely has not produced anything of any value, save for maybe exercising our fingers on the keyboard. its just too bad that typing doesn't burn more calories.

Good luck Bill with all you do, i wish you well

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member