Author Topic: 8 Ft. 3 blade Wind Generator Props  (Read 4821 times)

tetherite

8 Ft. 3 blade Wind Generator Props
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »
Hi;
I'm Ray Randolph and my Dad was Art Randolph. He was the owner of Animal Adventures, the firm that made the 8 foot, 3 bladed, glass-filled nylon wind generator propellers.
Dad has passed away and I'm wondering if there is any interest in someone obtaining the blade mold, the hub mold, the drilling jig fixture and the drilling machine to be able to make and sell the props.
A large injection molding press is required to produce the blades, so I'm sure the interest would be limited, but I thought I'd ask.
My e-mail is <tetherite@earthlink.net> should anyone wish to inquire.
Thanx all!
Ray
Ray Randolph

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 8 Ft. 3 blade Wind Generator Props
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
Could you provide a photo or a link that shows what the blades look like?
Google searching "Animal Adventures" doesn't get me anywhere.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

tetherite

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
I'll look through the photo files and see what is there.
Ray Randolph

tetherite

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
SparWeb;
If you provide an email (tetherite@earthlink.net) , I'll send a photo.
Ray
Ray Randolph

tetherite

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
SparWeb - My photos were too big. I'll attach in an e-mail reply!
Ray
Ray Randolph

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
Finally have pictures of the prop.  I am posting them on behalf of Ray Randolph, who e-mailed them to me this afternoon.  I volunteered to post them for him since the process can still be tricky here on Fieldlines:

My comments at this point are only about the lack of information, which is surprising from someone trying to sell a custom-built item.
The items supposedly for sale are the molds and tools, not the blades.  However, I have only been given photos of the blades.
Furthermore, the hub in photo #1 does not look like the hub in photo #2.  I have no way to determine how the change occurred.

I hope I can encourage the seller to add more information; otherwise, I see no reason for anyone to want to buy.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 06:00:59 AM »
what is that hub made out of? comparing the diameter of the blade shaft with the mounts on the hub it looks like someone over optimized the design and cut out too much material.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

tetherite

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:29:49 AM »
Hi All;
The assembled picture was of a prototype part and the hub was upgraded to provide additional strength. The mounting shafts of the blades are hollow to not over-kill on material or weight. This is a complex mold and has a "core-pull" that is retracted before ejection of the blade, thus providing the hollow blade shaft. I apologize for not posting more info, but I had to visit the shop to get any of the details on the molds (blades and hubs) and the drill jig and drilling machine that matches the blade pitch to the hub halves for the mounting bolts.
I hope this helps with what is probably an unusual package.
Thanx for your interest - my Dad would be happy!
Ray
Ray Randolph

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 02:22:52 PM »
edited.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

tetherite

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »
Just for the record. the test prop assembly has been operating for 5 years, under all weather conditions, and was in great shape when taken down this fall. Someone bought the total assembly and support pole. Glass-filled nylon is one of the toughest materials available for this application.
Best regards.
Ray
Ray Randolph