Author Topic: convert induction motor to generator  (Read 4845 times)

patrick vaz

convert induction motor to generator
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »
Dear Friends,
I just came across this site the other day & happened to see so many topics on conversion of inductio motor to generator, I happened to have a 0.5hp motor 230v for the last 20 years. I am from mechanical background and very new to electrical, but having you friends, nothing is difficult.  i am attaching 3 images, (1)one image is stator with 3 wire, red, green & black (2) 2nd image is the rotor with diameter of 75mm & height of 52mm (excluding the aluminium ring at the bottom & aluminium ring on top as seen in the image, (3)3rd  image is the schematics of the wiring, before I dismantled. Kindly suggest how to go about.

What is the size of magnets I need to source, as I understand, I need to maintain a slew angle of 10deg. kindly suggest.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Patrick

phil b

Re: convert induction motor to generator
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »
Can I make a suggestion?
read these pages. They will help you very much.

http://www.sparweb.ca/3_Gen_MoCo/Conv.html
http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery2/main.php/v/zubbly/
Phil

patrick vaz

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:05:31 AM »
Thankyou Phil, any help is welcome.......

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:25 AM »
Hi Patrick,
Is it safe to assume you want to make a wind turbine, and to power a battery system?
Your motor looks like a single-phase motor.  Does it have a centrifugal clutch inside the housing (not shown in your pictures). 
The conversion process, assuming that you want a wind turbine for battery charging, will do away with the centrifugal clutch, and the capacitors.
There may also be thermal switches to prevent overheating hiding in the wire - another thing to remove because they can cause problems in a wind turbine.
The windings may also be hard to deal with, but there's some hope.
We would know a lot more if your motor has a data plate on the side, and you can read the information on it.

Just something to know before going in too far:  if the motor is a good candidate for conversion (and I'm not sure it is) then you are looking at a 4-5 foot diameter blade span that will net about 200 watts when the wind really howls.  If all goes well with the conversion and building the turbine, that is.  I started the hobby just for fun - it was only later that I discovered that this stuff could be used practically, so now I depend on it.  At the start, 200W was plenty for me too!  Then I got greedy...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

patrick vaz

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 03:07:18 AM »
Hello Sparweb,

Firstly  I would like to thankyou so much for coming foward to help a handicap man, On the motor there is no Centrifugal switch & thermal switch. Kindly suggest how to go about.

thankyou
patrick