Author Topic: SAWT Braking  (Read 1721 times)

Kid

SAWT Braking
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
I am working on a VAWT made by SAWT Inc. (made in china) and it has automatic mechanical braking. I am looking to see if anyone can point me in the direction to where I can purchase an electronic brake controller? sawt.com.cn

GoVertical

Re: SAWT Braking
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »
Hi, nice design, I like the 5 blades. Are planning to include a MPPT controller? Once a micro is added braking mite be accomplished using software. Just a suggestion. 
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
Interesting looking VAWT.
Can you give us a few more details of where you're going to have it?
The mechanical braking? is it part of the system as a whole? From what I could see on their website, and the numbers showing it will not engage the brake until about 45mph!
You may not have a problem with the brake. OR is the braking system engaged until it hits about 8mph?

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Kid

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »
Well the person I am helping get it up and running has it behind there barn and behind a bunch of trees. So I agree it may not need braking! but I still need to get it working. They have about $50,000 put into this little money pit. The company they purchased it from out in California went out of business and it was never installed correctly. They burned out three controllers before I came to their rescue. I had to pull it off the tower and replace the rusted pitted bearings, and repair a cracked blade. But its back up and running (when it's really windy) and producing power some power. As of now I would not recommend a VAWT to anyone.I had the manufacture send a new brake control board for free from china but they did not give much info on the install. I would still take any recommendations to other manufactures brake controllers. This VAWT has brake pads under the white hub that are similar to trailer brakes. After the brakes are engaged and the turbine comes to a stop then a shot pin is activated and holds it in place for a time.