Author Topic: Introducing Myself and saying Hello  (Read 2726 times)

AcWxRADAR

Introducing Myself and saying Hello
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

I thought I would just introduce myself and present my situation first, then ask the technical and equipment related questions
later as they arise.

My name is Gordy.  I am from eastern Nebraska, USA.  I have a cabin on the Elkhorn River about 40 miles NW of the Omaha area.
My Brother and my two nephews have cabins in the same area and the nephews got me interested in solar power for my cabin.
They have set up a small scale solar outfit for their cabin to run just a few minor items.  I am investigating it in a more elaborate
sense and desiring to combine both wind and solar power to serve my cabin.  I found your forum as I was browsing about and
as a guest, I read some of the FAQ's and posts already.  Your information intrigued me and I thought there was a lot of value in
everything here, so I registered to be a part of your community. 

The Elkhorn River could offer hydro power for me, but this river is prone to extreme flash flooding, ice jams and extreme droughts.
The river's water level fluctuates dramatically at times and when it is calm and docile, it is usually quite low.  Therefore, I am not
planning to harness its power because I feel and fear that I would just lose my equipment to the river's wrath.  When I get into
building generators and if I find I am doing well, I can investigate making some items up for camping use.  That would be highly
interesting and fun and beneficial.  I have some thoughts on that line which I have always desired to bring to fruition, but never
sat down to actually build them or even a prototype.  Maybe soon.

For now, what I am looking forward to is just getting my feet wet with the solar and wind generation to power my lights and minor
appliances for my cabin.

My cabin lot is laid out rather oddly.  It is in two separate parcels of land.  One piece of it is right along the Elkhorn River's
east bank.  This area has lots of tall cottonwood trees, thus, very little wind and very little sun.  The other land parcel is
separated from the first by an access road and a field that is maybe 1/8 mile wide.  At this second portion, there is abundant
solar and wind energy, in my opinion.

To give you an idea of the layout...  The river runs basically N-S here.  To the east of the river, there is a 100-120 foot bluff that
runs N-S and parallels the river.  Between the river and the bluff, there are just open fields with NO TREES.  The corridor of the
riparian zone with all the tall trees along the river and the contour of the bluff basically form a wind tunnel as the riparian zone
and the bluff converge in a V as you go northward.  The southern wind blows right up this corridor and by the time it gets to my
cabin lot, it can be quite compressed and accelerated.  I rarely have any days when it is dead calm.  A slight breeze in the outlying
areas seems to be amplified here, so I think that I have an excellent spot to set up a wind generator.  During the winter, when the
wind comes more from the northern direction, it seems to follow a bend in the river and the contour of the bluff line in about the
same manner.  If I could draw it out on a piece of paper, my location would be like the midsection of an hourglass sand timer.
I am right on that bottle-neck of the hourglass where all of the action happens.

As far as sunlight exposure goes, I have FULL sun from roughly 135° to 250° across the southern horizon.  Since there are no
trees directly to the south, I am only limited by the bluff to the east and the riparian zone tree line to the west.  My site latitude is
41.6°N.

I have grid power available at both sites, so I could go grid-tied or totally off-grid.  My desire is to be totally OFF-GRID.  However, I
will need to get up to speed with the technical side and all the options because I am currently just a greenhorn in this realm.  I do
have a solid background in electronics and electrical matters.  I earned a AAS degree in EET from a small community college in my
home state of Nebraska.  I think they taught me well.  Never had a problem getting hired when I mentioned SCC Milford.  I may not
remember everything that they taught me back then, but one of the things that I always found to my benefit is the statement that
most of our instructors drilled into us...  "If you don't remember everything we teach you here, you will at least remember one thing...
and that is HOW to find the answers to your questions."  :)  So, basically, I am applying my training from way back then to seek out
the answers that I do not yet know.....  Which brought me to this forum.

Beyond the scope of the technical and electronics stuff...  I also like to go fishing for BIG catfish (flathead catfish or Pylodictis olivarus).
Nothing better to me than hooking into a 10-50 lb catfish out on the river and fighting that sucker one-on-one!  Just hoping someone
else here likes that, too.

Well, that is who I am and I hope to learn a lot from everyone here.   I have read quite a bit from this site so far so I know that this is
a very good forum to land on.  I should just say "THANKS" to you all at this moment as that fits very well with the holiday at hand now.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

Gordy (AKA RADAR) 

"There ain't no Sundays west of Omaha."
Clyde "FATS" Potter from "The Cowboys"

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Introducing Myself and saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
Maybe a drawing or a picture of the site to help us picture it better would help. Grid is going to be cheaper than alternative energy also. Now that the standard disclaimer is out of the way the basics of solar are the panels, a charge controller, the batteries, and an inverter. Panels can be found for under $1 a watt at www.solarblvd.com, for a charge controller I would go MPPT to get the maximum from your installation. Size your inverter to start any motor applications in the cabin, the fridge, heater motors etc.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
Welcome. My 2 penny's.
MaryAlana is correct, plan you power usage with the idea you will expand the power needed not just wanted. You can make a duel system but I would want to be able lockdown the wind gen. when I would not be there. With wind you may have to have a light on it depending on the location or how high you would make it as a warning for airplanes or cropdusters.
Solar should work fine. A small seperate well insulated power building to me would be best. Keeps the fumes away from the house and make sure it is down wind from the cabin. And not where some fool could drive into it.
Ask yourself how much time will you spend at the cabin and could it be turned into a full time place if needed to or wanted to. A power plan to me is the best place to start. Best of luck.
MntMnROY 13

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »
Beyond the scope of the technical and electronics stuff...  I also like to go fishing for BIG catfish

This is the most important thing - forget powering the cabin;  You got big flathead cats?  When can I come visit and do some fishin'?  I'll trade you some of them big cats for some of our big northerns and muskies up here    ;D
--
Chris

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 02:11:59 AM »
Been awhile but i used to fish the Minnesota River for flatheads, biggest I caught was 36 pounds on 10 pound test. I like a challenge. Setup the lawn chairs before dusk, get a nice fire going, bait up with 6+ inch creek chubs and cast and wait.

AcWxRADAR

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 03:42:09 PM »
Out at my cabin, on the Elkhorn River, I use live bullheads in the 4" to 6" size for bait.  I also use bluegills which are about palm or hand sized.  Both of these are good bait as even the 3-5 pound cats will take them as well as the big flathead cats.  I've been fishing for many years and I have focused in on the flathead cats because they are predatory fish and eat only live prey like other fish - mostly.  The flathead catfish are a safer species to eat because they are not bottom feeders nor do they eat many of the other species which are on the bottom rung of the food chain.  Channel and blue catfish are more opportunistic feeders in nature.  They will eat dead and decaying meat, whereas the flathead cats would avoid it.  I have served flathead catfish at fish feeds and many people confuse my servings of flathead cat with walleye.  There is a difference of course, but for some people you have to point it out to them.  I can tell the difference, but it is ever so slight.
Flathead catfish meat is totally white meat and void of the red and fatty areas that you might find in channel catfish and even in blue catfish.  Many will argue that the meat of the blue catfish is supreme and the best served in a restaurant.  That may be so if you are the person raising the catfish in a fish farm and desiring to sell your crop to the market, but it just isn't true when you go out in the wild and eat them.  Flathead cats will always top the list.  The problem being is that you cannot raise flathead catfish as easily in a fish farm environment. 

I personally don't expect to do that, but what I do want to do is raise and maintain the BAIT to go out and catch the big old flatheads!  So, I am developing my own FISH POND that I can run year round on solar and wind power.  Hence my reason to be here at this forum.  I believe that you understand my direction in this matter.  If I can learn how to power my BAIT tank 24/7/365 then I should be able to adapt that knowledge to power my cabin and keep me warm and alive 24/7/365!

Either way, I am just going to have fun learning about it all!
Good day for now, I'll be back with questions eventually.  For the time being, I am just going to read the FAQ's and  browse around the forum for ideas.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season and no one blows themselves up or sets their house afire with a turkey! 
Dang turkeys!  Always creating problems at this time of the year.  We always cook our turkey at the neighbors house,
two blocks away at least.  That is a safety tip from me to you all.

Gordy

AcWxRADAR

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
I should tell you about my cabin itself....  My NEW cabin that is.  It was a sweet deal.  I happened to find a 1992 year contractors office trailer at a dirt cheap price.  It is 64 ft x 12 ft.  Has a bath, two private offices (one on each end) and a large central room.  Tiled flooring, paneling on all walls, two doors and 8-9 sliding windows, built-in HVAC with ceiling vents and fluorescent ceiling lighting, metal siding and roofing.  Cost me $1,000 plus $70.00 tax and $225.00 for a move and set up fee. 

I thought I did quite well on the deal!  It is all in very good condition (just a little dusty).

Gordy

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »
Nice find on the cabin, add a kitchen, wood stove and you are set. 5 pound flatheads are very good eating, I used to smoke them after removing skin and head and innards. People went nuts for it served with saltines. It has a little more fat than a walleye and is meatier in texture, those are the differences I find in it. And a great sport fish, the bigger cats put up a heck of a battle. Fileted off the bone and pan fried was my favorite, simple salt/pepper/flour dusting. I always released the bigger fish, they are older, in many cases 20-30 years old and are the breeding population.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »
Hi,
Welcome to the forum!

....As in "Radar" O'Reilly?

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca