Author Topic: How can I connect solar panel directly to my grid?  (Read 4275 times)

storrence

How can I connect solar panel directly to my grid?
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:59:58 AM »
I'm living in a remote location and buying batteries is very difficult especially larger sizes.

So I had another idea. I'm not an electronics expert but I know enough to come up with crazy ideas so bear with me here :)

I don't want or need to disconnect from the grid but I want to help in the energy creation without the need of storing it so I thought why can't I use some circuit that puts whatever solar or wind energy I'm creating directly on my line. I was trying to visualize it like water. For example if i had a 100psi water line coming to the house and a meter at the street recording how much volume passes, if I added a secondary source of water like from a well and pump that didn't work 100% of the time. Then whenever it was on, I would require less pressure from the street and if it ever was more than I was consuming then could run the meter backwards. I'm not interested in running the meter backwards. I know I will not create enough energy to subsidize all my needs. I just want to eliminate the storage batteries.

So can I convert the 12v DC to something that can be added directly to my line to help my meter run slower or am I thinking the impossible?

Thanks!

madlabs

Re: How can I connect solar panel directly to my grid?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »
You can, it's called a grid tied inverter properly installed by a licensed tech. The DC has to be changed to AC and then synched with the line frequency and that is exactly what a grid tie inverter does. There is no way to roll your own unless you are an electronics guru with a complete lab and even then your creation would be against the law until you got it UL apporved and installed by the licensed tech mentioned above.

Jonathan

storrence

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »
Thanks, I knew it must exist :) I found many on amazon. The ones there seem to be able to be plugged directly into the 110v without special installation. Maybe it has computer to monitor the Hz and angle.

dbcollen

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
If (when) you get caught using one of these plug in grid tie inverters you will need to buy lots of solar and batterier because the utility will cut your power and it is likely you will have a long expensive fight to get it turned back on. Remember, just because someone sells it doesn't mean it is legal to use. No grid tie inverter that plugs into the wall socket can be UL listed, because an inverter needs a dedicated circuit.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
BTW, at least here in the UK, I have not been able to find any legal grid-tie inverter that with accept 12V nominal input.  If I could I'd dump excess from my off-grid system into the grid in summer once my batteries were charged...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »
The most important part when trying to buy grid-tie inverters is to look for the UL, CSA TUV type approved stickers, without those you could be liable and possibly prosecuted for harm done.
Plus most grid providers require it be installed by a licensed person.
Google anti-islanding.
One site you might look at would be wholesalesolar they have a nice post about available items and why.
Hope this helps;
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

richhagen

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:22 PM »
Many utilities allow grid tie.  You should check with your electricity provider and find specifically what they will, and will not, allow, and what the installation/inspection requirements are.  For a tiny system it may not be worth the hurdles you may have to jump through. 

I would not do a 'guerrilla' installation, connecting an inverter to back feed the grid without approval of your utility or afoul of the laws in your particular location.  In the U.S. this can result in criminal and civil liability as well as result in you possibly being unable to connect your property to the public utilities in the future.  Additionally if you have a fire, such an installation could be a basis for your insurance company to deny your claim for compensation, leaving you personally liable for any injuries and property damage.

Another option, for a smaller system, which I use, is an inverter which will sync and switch between the utilities power and your locally generated power based upon the state of your batteries or storage.  Both Outback and Schneider (trace, xantrex) have inverters which can do this (I have an SW4048 which has this mode) and you do not generally need a utilities permission for such a set up although you still will need to be in compliance with the codes for electrical wiring at your location.  You will not be back feeding power to the grid, but will be running your loads off of locally produced and stored power when it is available and switching to grid power when it is not.  The inverters designed for this handle it automatically and seamlessly.  I couple this with a scheme using the relays in my inverter which can be set to turn on and off at adjustable voltages to increase the loads when the voltage is high and shed them as it drops.  The downside is that you will need at least some batteries with such a system.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:57:54 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!