Author Topic: Air Breeze Swept blades  (Read 4119 times)

Bluevitz-RS

Air Breeze Swept blades
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »
Hi all, has anyone used these blades... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Refurbish-Replacement-3-BLADES-Southwest-AIR-BREEZE-X-Wind-TURBINE-Generator-/150819469129#ht_500wt_1337

I picked up an AMETEK 40V motor and am looking at these blades.  I assume the swept shape makes them quieter.  Or should I go with the regular straight ones?

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Air Breeze Swept blades
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:27:45 AM »
Myself I'd go with straight ones, the shape of those blades is just a gimmic.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »
Straight blades for me also, although the curved design may have some merit on a downwind turbine, where the tower could 'shadow' the wind.
These can be seen on the Skystream 3.7  http://www.windenergy.com/products/skystream/skystream-3.7

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
These can be seen on the Skystream 3.7

isn't that one of the worst sizable commercially made turbines that has ever been built?? 

the same company (southwest wind power) makes the "air 403" that we talk trash about all the time. 

i believe the air 403 has the largest number of blade-to-shotgun strikes of any turbine built, due to its horrid noise and gun toting neighbors. 

adam

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
For that very reason a lot of local units of government that have a wind power ordinance do not allow down wind machines.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »
Makes sense.  So, straight blades it is.  Now, would 22" or 28" blades make better use of the AMETEK 40V.  It's the 1050RPM @40V model.  Pulled it apart and had a look inside before it gets well used.  Brushes and armature looked like new still, no grooving and was only a slight discolouration on the copper contacts of the armature.

tanner0441

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 07:29:02 AM »
Hi

1050RPM /40V is 26.25 RPM per volt. I would go for the 28in blades that is only just over 4ft Dia. and capable of handling over 350RPM which I think your going to be aiming for. Are you looking at making your own blades or buying a set?

Brian

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »
ok, maybe it isn't the 1050 rpm model, but that's what http://www.tlgwindpower.com/ametek.htm this info said it should be by the dimensions.  I put my drill to it on the 0-600rpm range and only got 13.8v out of it.  I'll test it again to confirm the drill wasn't slipping but the reading was very steady.

tanner0441

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
600RPM for a 4ft blade set will be no problem, I would rather see the reading on an ammeter into the battery. That will show you what to expect for a given rev range.

Brian.

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
I'll try hooking it up with the meter inline and see how many amps is coming out at 600rpm.

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 02:26:33 PM »
ok, I re-tested the motor and it seems when I apply battery voltage it spins a lot slower at 12.2V than what it's taking to produce that voltage spinning it with the drill.  It only starts to put out amp right at full speed in the 600rpm range of the drill.  If I drop the speed down even a bit there's no production. 

So I guess I'm asking if it's normal.  I'm in a pretty low wind area but just want this for windy days when it's cloudy and plan on installing it up of the TV antenna to get it up over the roof line.

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
Anyone?

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »
When comparing a motor or generator the emf is the same but when motoring the losses are such that it will rotate at a lower speed as you have the emf ( which you can't get at) and the losses to bring you to battery volts. Depending on how much electrical resistance there is and how much mechanical load ( friction there is) you may find the emf is a fair bit below battery volts when motoring.

When you run it as a generator the losses are the other way, for the same generated emf you will have to run it faster to pass current into the same voltage battery.  On very efficient machines these differences in speed are small but that motor is hardly brilliantly efficient.

You also have to accept that the drill speed may be very nominal.

Try to make a decent crank handle and crank it at some convenient speed ( 120rpm should be a good choice). Time the revolutions to get the speed right and then measure the volts you get out. You can then work out the actual speed needed to reach nominal battery volts(13v).

That is the only real way to get an accurate starting point.

You can then decide on your blade size ( or choose tsr from a given size) to get a cut in at the speed you want.

I believe there may be more than one style of nominal Amtek 40 and anyway the figures quoted are someones guess or measurement and may not be too close.

If it is near 600 rpm as you suspect then it will need fast blades and not too large a diameter but it should still do something useful in reasonable winds.  Perhaps you are looking at a set of 4ft or similar blades with decent propfile. Many of the blades advertised for these motors may be too slow.

Flux

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Thanks for the clarification :)

I've been looking at the 22" and 29" blades on eBay.  They say they spin up to 1500rpm which seem insanely fast.  Would the smaller blades work out better because I need such a high cut in speed?

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »
If you mean the blades in that first link then they are fast as they seem to be aimed at the Air X machine.

I am not sure how well they will start with the drag of an Amtek, you may need 6 of them. with only 3 I suspect they will stall just above cut in.

If you are stuck with buying commercial blades then I suppose 6 of them may work ok but not cheap.  I have never used anything other than home made wooden blades so I can't really comment. They will no doubt suit your Amtek better than the various bent sheet metal blades available.

With those I would suspect you will do better with the bigger set as they are really fast and 600 rpm should be possible in modest wind.

Perhaps someone who has tried them may be able to comment.
Flux

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:53:40 PM by Bluevitz-RS »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
Jeez I hate to see people waste money, those blades are a little better than flat boards I guess, you might make 100 watts in a 50 mph wind.

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »
Your alternative is....?  Sell the motor I just bought?

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »
I would check royal wind and solar, he makes one piece two blade sets out of the wood of your choice, since there is little power in low wind speeds, especially with that motor you would be better off with high speed blades, of a real proven design.

Bluevitz-RS

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »
yeah there is a bit of drag and those thin ebay blades would probably really struggle to start it in lower winds.  I didn't see the one peice blades.  I'll have to send them an email.  Thanks for the suggestion and saving me time and money AND aggravation.