Author Topic: Overload problem  (Read 2298 times)

uptheground

Overload problem
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »
Hello:
I have a charging problem, and is as follows, for a time the charge controller reads a very high voltage (28, 29, 30V) and very low current (6 amps) on a sunny day between 11am and 1pm, in normal operation under the same conditions of time between the voltage was 25V - 26V and the current from 18 to 20 amps. The biggest problem is when using some high amperage appliance does not operate as it should, and at night until the lights are weakened when multiple appliance being used at a time. Another thing is that I have damaged batteries lasted 2 years I now spend 2 or 3 months (very disturbing). Before starting the systema problem was working well for about 8 years. Trying to solve the problem, I changed all the wiring, from the battery bank to the wiring in coming from the solar panels.
I also noticed that the charge controller remains too long in a PWM mode partly sunny day, but before this occurred when there was strong sunshine and after a long period.

This is my setup:

4 panels of 155W 24v SunWise
fuse box
Morning Star charge controller T-60
Xantrex SW2524
fuse and breaker of 100 amperes each
bank of 4 batteries 12v group 27

If you need extra information will gladly give them to you.

Thanks in advance.

Jose

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Overload problem
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »
Four group 27's isn't much storage. I have 5 and they don't do much. The hybrid marine batteries vary in quality a lot from brand to brand, but none last long.

That's a lot of panel for 4 batteries, too, if you get good sun.

You might check each panel separately to see if one went bad. I pulled mine apart today and replaced a Harbor Freight panel that had begun to delaminate. I have panels paired in series for better low-light performance and checked the open circuit voltage on each pair before reassembling the array.

You might have taken a lightning strike that damaged your T-60 or panels. Checked closely for burn marks on the panel frames.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
hello and welcome! 

sounds like you have a 24v system with four 12v batts in a series/parallel configuration. 

i'm not totally sure of what you're asking...  the ts-60 is a great charge controller, and the sw2524 is a great inverter.  is the inverter tripping out from the low voltage situation? 

the amount of time the ts-60 spend in pwm versus absorb versus float can have a large variation depending on how much energy was used the night before, as well as the conditions (sun) of the following day. 

as far as voltage, the ts-60 is temperature compensated, so if it's really cold out, 30v is not uncommon.  it's the ts-60's way of correctly changing the bank in cold conditions. 

are the dip switches set correctly for your battery type?  do you have a fantom draw somewhere? 

just thoughts...

adam

southpaw

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:57:45 AM »
Hi Jose
This sounds like a battery problem to me.
Higher than normal charging voltages at low amperage are often a result of poor battery connections.
These could be external, dirty posts or cable ends, poor contact between the cable and the crimped end, or inside the batteries, low water or broken internal connectors. Any of these things will also cause problems at higher loads and lower your battery capacity. Best to isolate each battery and load test it individually, then check all the cables and clean the connections when you reconnect them. Let us know when you find the cause of your problem.
Southpaw

uptheground

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
Thank you all for such quick reply. First let you know that I am not an expert but occasionally learn something new thanks to you.

dnix71: I agree with you, my first battery bank was with trollans T-105, but the budget has gone down a lot and choose to try Walmart until my economy has stabilized again. regarding the open circuit voltage, I will check this afternoon when the ambient sun is low and I'll let you know, thanks.

birdhouse: You're right, is a system of 24v and 4 batteries in series / parallel.
My charge controller never had cable for the temperature, now I see why troyans 225Ah batteries worked fine but did not have the burden of expected and with walmart type 27 85ah started the problem of overloading.

The charge controller settings:

dip switch: 1-off 2-on 3-off 4-on 5-off 6-on 7-on 8-off

mode: charge 24v <fixed>

# Battery: 6 (It says 6 but I have 4 batterias?)

float: 26.8v

regulation: 29.6

Equalize: 30.6

Southpaw: everything you mention refers wiring in against filing has been replaced and tested, such as cleaning, terminals, cables, battery water regularly. Thank you.

To all: I will buy the temp wire and tell how it goes. If you could give me advice about my system (especially batteries) I will be gratefull.

I really am very grateful to you. May God bless you all.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:01:49 AM by uptheground »

uptheground

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »
I found this article that describes exactly what my problem is. The only difference is that I use solar power.

http://www.amplepower.com/primer/full/index.html

"A Very Common Problem

Your batteries are only four months old. You discharge them until their voltage is less than 11 Volts and then crank up the engine. The alternator brings up the voltage to 14.4 Volts very quickly, but the current begins to decline immediately and in a few minutes is down to a few Amps. You:

suspect your voltage regulator and immediately call the factory and ask for a replacement to be sent out; OR
realize that something has happened to the batteries because the alternator and regulator are operating as expected."

Thanks again

uptheground

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:50 PM »
I found this article that describes exactly what my problem is. The only difference is that I use solar power.

http://www.amplepower.com/primer/full/index.html

"A Very Common Problem

Your batteries are only four months old. You discharge them until their voltage is less than 11 Volts and then crank up the engine. The alternator brings up the voltage to 14.4 Volts very quickly, but the current begins to decline immediately and in a few minutes is down to a few Amps. You:

suspect your voltage regulator and immediately call the factory and ask for a replacement to be sent out; OR
realize that something has happened to the batteries because the alternator and regulator are operating as expected."

Thanks again

dbcollen

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »
the problem is sulfation, you need to do an Equalization charge. bring the batteries up to 32-33v and keep them there for as many hours as it takes to get the specific gravity around 1.265 and all the same. cut back charging and let batteries cool if they get to 120f. also make sure the electrolyte is above the plates before starting the EQ, and top them off AFTER, or they will overflow during EQ.

uptheground

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice. It's there a way with Morning Star TS-60 to manualy set the equalization to 32-33v?

Thanks again

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »
you can change the dip switches to the "L-16" position.  i believe that is the highest voltage setting of all the options.  then go for manual equalize.  this should get you close enough.  or there's a custom setting you can program via a computer, but i haven't ever tried that. 

just keep an eye on the water levels and temps. 

adam