Author Topic: New Project, CNC Router  (Read 8711 times)

Boondocker

New Project, CNC Router
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
Some photos on building a CNC Router

First made a torsion table top.

80/20 is used for the frame construction

Boondocker

Re: New Project, CNC Router
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »

Boondocker

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
Obtain the design and most of the parts from:
http://www.cncrouterparts.com/

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »
that's awesome!  nice work.  i like the old school wooden base table design.  what profile is that in the last picture? 

what is the max length you can do? 

adam

Boondocker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:48:05 AM »
Birdhouse,

The torsion box table makes a very solid, flat foundation to support the machine.

Can carve/cut just over seven feet long.  The table top is 4'x8', to give you a sense of scale. 

The photo is a 222GOE profile with a tapper and twist.  Practicing on small pieces to learn first. No prior CNC experience.

Boondocker

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 06:47:57 AM »
Very nice superbly done
 And a great link I have an old Victor Magnetic tracing torch that I built a 4 by 12  burn table for and a gantry for the torch I could use many of these items they offer to convert the gantry system to CNC then add a torch to the back side  I would then have a CNC burn table with Magnetic tracing ability that would be great 
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »
Nice! If anyone needs plastic shapes I have a laser cutter. Up to about 18x10 inches can be cut and 1/2 inch thick. Cut edges will have a taper, nature of the beast with beam spread.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »
Nice! If anyone needs plastic shapes I have a laser cutter. Up to about 18x10 inches can be cut and 1/2 inch thick. Cut edges will have a taper, nature of the beast with beam spread.
Actually I need to find a good laser for steel or SS up to 1/2" thick to put in place of one of my planetary Ox Gas torches That burn rig already has a Hypertherm 2000 plasma and 2 Ox /Gas torches all set up 3 axis and 9 straight line ox /gas torches on the back of the gantry
 replacing one of the front ox/ gas torches with a laser would both speed up and add higher precision cutting for super thin materials
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »
My 60 watt CO2 won't even mark steel or metal, have to use a dye process to engrave even. Get into metal cutting and it makes my CO2 laser look cheap!

Boondocker

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
Carved out a 5ft blade demo out of foam.  It took about 1 1/2hr per side using a 1/4" endmill.  Use Qblade program to design the blade export it as a *.stl file.

Watching the CNC carve out a blade is almost as fun watching your turbine spin :)

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
I think I'm going to join you  in this . I've been wanting to hookup a new direction to what I can do here and this is what .

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
Just one of the reasons that keeps bringing us back to FL.  Sharing ideas inspires the rest of us.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca