Author Topic: Offset Heat bill with kero  (Read 13222 times)

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Offset Heat bill with kero
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
Have you ever tried to run Biodiesel in this heater?
Just a thought... :) A lot cheaper the any other fuel.... wonder if it would work.

Absalutely Not! DO NOT DO THIS!

If you do, welcome to hell and a total strip down and rebuild oh and a new wick!

In a dire emergency once started with kerosen and at opperating temp it will burn diesel, and so long as it is never shut off will keep doing so at about 45% energy out put, but after wards? Strip down and rebuild.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

slapstick

• Thinking outside the TV
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
Sounds as you have tried it before :P
I will not repeat that then ;)
Trying to think in the 6th dimension.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:59 PM »
Sounds as you have tried it before :P
I will not repeat that then ;)

yup, and at least after the rebuild and strip down and new wick it ran wonderously off the 1-K Kerosene!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
AND before anyone else asks  ;D.
NO Oil lamp wicks will not help it work any better with Bio-D.
JW; for long term and maximum happiness? Use only Kero in that unit.
build a small oil burner out of and old soup tin can with a oil lamp wick, get working just right with lamp oil, then add Bio-D to it and see how well that works out.  ;)
YOU can make it work, but you'll need to thin the Bio-D down to the same viscosity of the lamp oil.
like XP said , only in an extreme emergency should you use Bio-D in this and then you'll need to keep it burning.
Glad that it is working nicely for you!
Cheers;
Bruce S 
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

slapstick

• Thinking outside the TV
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 02:04:50 AM »
JW, I must say well done on heating your house on 25k BTU heater. I think this is the main point that it only take 25k BTU. to heat your house. I am sure everything you have do thus far has made that heater work much better then just leaving it in one room to heat.

Thanks for the good works!!! ;)
Gabriel
Trying to think in the 6th dimension.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »
Quote from: Slapstick
Just a thought A lot cheaper the any Have you ever tried to run Biodiesel in this heater? other fuel.... wonder if it would work.

Quote from: XeonPony
Absalutely Not! DO NOT DO THIS! If you do, welcome to hell and a total strip down and rebuild oh and a new wick!

Hi All,

Rest assured I wont be burning Diesel, or bioDiesel in the Kerosene heater

However, I am interested in adding this- instead of rubbing alcohol

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-gallon-soft-light-l0001-bulk-lamp-fuel-smokeless-liquid-paraffin-wax/999221.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=999221&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CKzp46GskbUCFQU5nAodmggAAg

Im, getting my Kero @ $4.49 gal, and @ $13.99 gal, with the Paraffin, So it will just be a splash from time to time.

What im thinking is to add the paraffin to cut the kero smell if possible, maybe 1/3rd of 2/3rds of kero to a gallon, the ionizer does not cut the smell of the kero burning as much as I had hoped.

JW
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:11:40 PM by JW »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 02:00:40 AM »
I suspect it will clog up the wick from the wax.

richhagen

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 02:51:19 AM »
I have a couple or three of those kerosene heaters like JW is using.  I use them for emergency heat if a natural gas furnace goes out in an apartment until I can get it repaired if the electric circuits are not up to the task of electric heat.  I also use them about once or twice a year when the temperatures in my area fall below zero for extended periods for overnight heating in basements to prevent frozen pipes.  I have never been able to get rid of that kerosene odor, and I would not want that in my house or an apartment longer than necessary.  There is less soot and odor with a smaller flame, but the heat output over all is lower as well and I have never tried to measure the efficiency of heat out vs. fuel consumption.  I would find it difficult to believe that it is healthy to breath in the products of incomplete combustion which always seem to be present to some extent.  Here the kerosene is rather expensive.  It is cheaper at gas stations and pricey at home improvement or hardware stores, but I don't think it can compare with natural gas in my area on price.  I paid about $50 per 5 gallons or so this year from a store when needed some.  Electricity is three times as expensive as natural gas here by unit of energy, so kerosene  might have a chance there, but I don't generally use electricity for heat except in my home where my solar and re dumps to electric heat in the winter, or in an emergency in an apartment if a furnace goes out.  I keep a stock of 1500 Watt heaters for such occurrences though. 

I have a supply of used olive oil, maybe 50 gallons or so, but I have never been able to get it to burn successfully through a wick, even with cooking it dry prior to use, so I never bothered to try it with the kerosene heaters.  I thought about making biodiesel and trying that, but after this thread I am thinking that would be a waste.  In the vegetable oil form it will keep for a long time so eventually I will find a use. 
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
with a good clean wick and well running heaters you will never get much ells other then co2 and water, and by adjusting the flame to a steady blue ring on the top will provide good solid heat and clean combustion.

If you get any thing ells you got an issue some where, as for the smell? I grew up in a remote logging camp, brings back good memories, better then old wood smock smell in my books!  when I start mine I open the door wide and the sky light wide till it settles, once the catylist is red hot and the flame stabilizes to an even blue ring is when I close the door and bring the sky light down to being open 2 inches then I sit it down next to a vent that is open a total of 6"^2, with that I am sweating at -20c weather!  adding some foam over unused windows does wonders!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »
Even my propane vent free space heater stinks up the house.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
One thing that does help with the kero odor abit is scented candles. Im not sure about the "liquid paraffin" mixed with the kero in small amounts, less than a third by volume, causing a problem with the wick since its not a wax. I may try it, I may not, im leaning more towards the scented candles at this point.

When I was in college my apt had the really tall and old glass windows that leaked air bad, I used panel foam, the pink stuff about an inch thick and 4 ft by 8 ft cut to size. It worked awesome...

JW