Author Topic: Auto Start for Diesel Genset.  (Read 2839 times)

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Auto Start for Diesel Genset.
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:15:25 PM »
hey folks-

so i finally picked up my new (to me) diesel generator.  i'd like to have it have auto start capability based on battery bank voltage. 

it's a military surplus onan MEP002A.  24v starting batteries, 2 cylinder. 

the current start procedure is hold switch on "pre-heat" for 10-45 seconds depending on temperature, then flip the switch to "start" and hold it there until the oil pressure comes up.   the starter automatically disengages but the switch must be held there until oil pressure rises, otherwise it will stop running.  its the whole low oil shutdown thing trying to do its job... 

i've looked at the magnum energy control modules.  are they compatible with a diesel that needs a preheat duration?  temperatures could be as low as 5*F while trying to start this puppy.  if there is a preheat option, is the time duration adjustable? 

any other options and or brands of control modules? 

thanks for any help!

adam

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: Auto Start for Diesel Genset.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52:23 PM »
I think what would be best is to convert the generator to two-wire start using an Atkinson programmable controller.  The Magnum's AGS has several pre-programmed generator start routines, but none (probably) that are going to work with that generator.  Once you install the Atkinson and get it programmed correctly, all you have to do to make the generator start is close a switch or contact set in a relay.

If you have a Xantrex SW Plus inverter with the GSM (Generator Start Module), that is fully programmable right from the inverter control panel and it will start that generator with no problem - and repeat the start tries six times before it gives up and decides the generator is probably not going to start.
--
Chris

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
thanks for the info chris! 

The Magnum's AGS has several pre-programmed generator start routines, but none (probably) that are going to work with that generator

do you think it won't work due to having to hold the start switch for a bit part? 

is this the module you're speaking of? 
http://thesolarstore.com/charge-controllers-lighting-generator-controllers-atkinson-gscm-generator-start-controller-module-start-p-480.html

could a simple voltage sensing relay work to kick on the atkinson thus kick on the genny?

and lastly (for now)...   ;) what all is involved with converting a genset to a two wire start?  is that two wire plus ground? 

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »
Yeah.  They don't have any routines for that in the Magnum AGS.

Auto-start generators are either two wire or three wire start.  Three wire requires a Glow/Stop signal (diesel) or an ignition run (spark ignition) signal, plus crank and ground.  Two-wire generators only require a run signal plus ground (connect the two together) and the generator has its own built-in controller that handles all its starting functions.  The Atkinson will take the place of the built-in controller that handles all the starting functions and will only require the two-wire signal to initiate the starting sequence.

Xantrex always had support for three-wire generators.  Outback never did.  Magnum does, but they got a setup where the generator has to supply a run sense output of 10-40 VDC to the controller to tell it when to stop cranking.  They got three relays in the AGS and one of those can handle pre-heat.  But they also got four DIP switches in there that you have to set to the Generator Type.  How you set those DIP switches determines the signal timing for the starting sequence on three-wire generators.

If you look in the manual on how to set up the ME-AGS-N you'll see the different DIP switch settings and how the signal timing is affected for each one.  IIRC, there's only 4 different "presets" for three-wire generators.

I just set one of those up with auto gen-start (Honda generator) a few weeks ago for a guy that bought a new MS4448PAE and I should remember what each of those settings does, but I don't, and I don't have the manual here for it to look it up.
--
Chris

dbcollen

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:22 PM »
I use an atkinson GSCM, it works for my diesel genset and is fully programable.