Author Topic: PV Tracker Actuator arm, lubrication?.  (Read 2621 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
PV Tracker Actuator arm, lubrication?.
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
PV Tracker Actuator arm.

After 1 year, My No 2 PV Tracker actuator arm sounds like a bag of nails.

Does any one know how to get in these for serviceing, lubrication etc?
I tried the retailer, but no help.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: PV Tracker Actuator arm, lubrication?.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
The nut where the tube and motor meet will let you pull the tube off. Once off you can check to see how rusty and dry it is inside. With them apart it is possible to separate the 2 tubes completely for cleaning/greasing. Many have a grease fitting up by the end.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:25 AM »
Thanks MaryAlana for that, I will hopefully get the old one of this weekend and have a look.

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

clockmanFRA

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
 :) :)
Found the problem.

MaryAlana, I had to take the gearbox apart to get the tube from the bottom casting. But relatively straight forward, but the motor armature is a bit awkward getting it back as the magnets in the housing pull it around like a demented Ferret.  ::)

Pic 1
Removing the motor housing and armature, I saw that one of the armature, spring loaded carbon brush, was stuck in.

Pic 2.
Brush spring on the left okay, but the other was in several bits/crumbled and had been sat in a little pool of water for a year.
Hunted around and found a similar spring with a similar tension.

Pic 3.
Removed the plate with the micro switches etc. on, and underneath is the gearbox. Pleasantly surprised to see reasonable quality nylon gears.

Pic 4.
Gears away and not a bad ally casting with decent bronze bushes, and 2 thrust bearings for the main screw rod.

Pic 5.
One of the thrust bearings on the drive rod, and a welded on washer that has a good weld and it spins true.  :)

Anyway all back together oiled and greased, tested, and ready for action. I have added a grease nipple in the gearbox/threaded rod end. And rotated the motor down for the cable entry, but now leaves 2 drain holes, or lubrication points on the top.  So temporary sealed them with grease, and I will think of some sort of waterproof cover.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:15:08 PM by clockmanFRA »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »
Find an inner tube that will stretch fit over the tube while fully extended and use hose clamps to attach it top and bottom. As the arm retracts it will scrunch up and give you a weather boot. Most of the water runs in along the tubes and works its way down.