Author Topic: Speed Control methods?  (Read 2250 times)

joe81076

Speed Control methods?
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »
Hello All!
I have some questions in regards to methods to control overspeed to satisfy the local zoning laws. I would think many of the members here have gone through the same issues with there local "powers that be". One of the requirements state:

"Speed Controls- All systems shall be equipped with a manual and automatic over speed controls"

What methods are available to address this? I would think the furling tail addresses the "automatic" part, but what about the "manual" part?

My Turbine will be axual, with about an 8.2' diameter blade design

All thoughts/method are welcome since this is my first go at turbine design/build.

smidy

Re: Speed Control methods?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
furling tail can be both automatic and manual. simply a vire down the tower, pull the wire and the tail goes to furling position. maybe even a stop switch can act like a manual speedcontrol?
Aland islands in the Baltic Sea

gww

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »
I would think a charge controller with a dump load or clipper would be the auto part and a shut down switch would be the manual.
gww

just-doug

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
speed control systems are often trouble some.reliabilty i think would be improved by minumizing  them.focus on balance and build qauility.its to bad the codes are mostly writen by people that dont have basic understanding on the danamics of windturbines

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »
I'm guessing you have 4' blades there a bouts . Manuel speed controls are easy enough . For auto speed controls I opted for an arc to the  windward facing side of the blades based on the circumference of an 8" sch  40 pvc . They top out at 480 rpm and maintain there .Easy enough to make and they start up with good torque.