Remote Living > Lighting

organic lithium ion battery trouble

<< < (2/2)

dnix71:
The light can be run off 12v directly by simply plugging it into a charger, but I wanted portable and 12v direct recharge.

I might be able to get 6 NiMH in there, but 6 AA size won't fit. That's why they used 4/5's AA size.

There are three wires on the battery pack, so maybe there is a BMC on the board inside somewhere. I need to check.

The single led charge light goes from red to green when the battery is full.

dnix71:
Here is the inside back view. There are 2 IC's. An 8205A Li-Ion battery protection chip, which probably explains the center tap wire on the battery pack and a 1412 FV7. Google has nothing to say about the 1412 FV7.

The battery pack external wrap says JT14430 Li-Ion 550mAH 7.4v

That AH rating is off the low end for that size. In fact eBay sells a 600mAH pack with the 8205A IC for more than the complete light sold for retail, so the original cells must have been rejected junk. From eBay Canada the cells alone/each with solder tabs are $12.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-2V-600mAh-Li-Ion-14430-Battery-Pack-W-Protetion-IC-/110744980313?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item19c8ea4b59

Simen:
The 1412 was a mystery chip ;) and the closest i came to the 8205A was a dual mosfet used for battery protection... ;)

And you're probably right regarding the batteries being rejects; the price are usually a good hint... ;) The circuit in your light are probably a good enough bms, if it cut the light when one of your cells reached 2.93V.

The cheapest way to replace your batteries would be using 2x laptop cells (18x65mm) from an old laptop battery pack, but these might not fit? (Your cells are 14x43mm.) A common configuration for old laptop battery packs are 2p3s or 2p4s, where one of the pair are defect... :)

Mary B:
1412 rang a bell, think it is a darlington transistor array. Through hole version http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/25569/STMICROELECTRONICS/ULN2002A.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version