Author Topic: LG motor conversion  (Read 3560 times)

RayWood

LG motor conversion
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
Has anybody converted the LG motor to a wind turbine?
Thanks for any info on the conversion.

Ray

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: LG motor conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
If the LG motor is anything like the Fisher-Paykel motors, then you should look at this website:

http://www.thebackshed.com/

It's sort-of their specialty.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

RayWood

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
Hi; SparWeb:
I have three of F&P motors and I converted one of them to a wind turbine and it worked ok.
But I was thinking about converting an LG motor and compare it to the F&P to see which one worked the best in low wind.

gww

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
What is an LG motor?
gww

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I gotta believe it's a motor out of an LG washing machine.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:57:51 PM »
Hopefully somebody on FL has tinkered with one, and can give you some tips.

A lot of folks here can talk to you (at great length, I might add) about the principles, materials, and techniques you'll need to do that, if it's feasible.  But most of it would all be generalized, because I assume many of us haven't seen a LG motor in person.  I have seen some of the "smart-drive" washer motors taken apart, but I didn't know if they were LG motors or some other OEM's.  Also, LG might make many different types, sizes, configurations of motors to suit a wide variety of washing machines.  So one person's LG motor project might not look like yours...

If you're willing to show a few pictures, maybe illuminate the rest of us about what the differences are between a LG and a F&P, then we'd have a start at something more specific to help you with.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Royalwdg

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 12:01:04 AM »
I chucked the magnet rotor and mounted the stator from one of those LG machines.  They are already wound and arranged for three phase out put. The voltage came up real fast with low amps capabilities.  So rpm wise they will go with larger machines like 18' or 20'.  So stacking would be an option. Replacing the mags with neos would also change things.  The scrounger in me likes this because you might find it junked somewhere.  New rotor and stator from my friend who repairs these priced them at about 120 bucks.  I'm planning some more experiments.   Dave Moller