Author Topic: Newbie build. Is this a good motor to start with ?  (Read 2730 times)

mtask2002

Newbie build. Is this a good motor to start with ?
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »
hello everyone and thanks for your interest in my post. i understand i need to read and go through the posts. as iv done. i can only learn so much from reading :-)  im interested in building a good output (kw's) turbine. i found a motor id like to use but im thinking its probly not the best for this application. maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. it is a 600v 1.5 horsepoer. was used as a paint booth exhaust fan . i realise its high voltage and low amps. which i think is the opposite of what should be used . but if its not to hard id like to replace the insides with my own coils and magnets (n45's ?) i  am a pretty good hands on kinda guy. teach me once and off i go. ( or twice :-) ) i hope the pics can give you some idea as thats all i have as of yet . i havnt picked up the motor yet. id also like to build the blades from aluminium. i will install my metal break this summer to assist in the blades. but i dont know how to calculate blade size per watts or motor size or windspeed or whatever i need to know :-). i live in montreal quebec h9p-2h9. id like to test at my home but its really for my land i have up north in ( lac saguay quebec ) any thoughts on any point will be really appriceated. 

mtask2002

Re: Newbie build. Is this a good motor to start with ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
more pics

mtask2002

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
sorry guys i cant figure how to edit posts   ??? here is one last pic i have of the motor

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:20:49 AM »
 The wire is a little small . The rpm is in the right range , the voltage is high so you'll see high voltage low Amps and a lot of drag . You have to build a magnet rotor . It's heavy
Looks like you could let this one go and keep looking .

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 01:46:39 PM »
You want to start with a good motor, otherwise you do all that work for a small benefit.
You guessed correctly: with high voltage and low current it won't be suitable for a battery-based power source after a PM conversion.
I want to see at least 10 Amps on the dataplate before I accept a motor for conversion. 
Other things to aim for: 1700-1780 RPM range, meaning a 4-pole motor. 
It's better than a 2-pole motor that would operate at ~3500 RPM.  This also has a detrimental effect on its performance as a wind generator.
This I learned after converting a 2-pole, 5Amp motor and getting very little power out of it, obviously.
If you find a 6-pole motor then it's even better for low-speed wind power duty, but at the cost of being very very heavy.  A beefy tower is required.

As it is, does the motor still work (aside from the ding in the fan casing that can be bent back out)?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

mtask2002

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
thanks for checking out my post guys . yes the motor works .   but as Spareweb said . gotta start with a good motor. so ill keep looking for another motor .  unless others have any ideas . thanks again  ill be back soon with more questions and thoughts.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »
Is this a 12 or 15 or 18 wire  wire motor I don't have my Ugly's to look up and see if can be wired for lower voltage if it can then the Amperage can be increased .Sometimes the manufacture does not list all available voltages on the data plate , or possibly determine each phase and wire the coils of each ph in parallel.
 if you have plans to cut the rotor and magnet it up then make it as many poles as you like after wiring the coils
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »
Frank, it's wired for a single voltage, most likely.  So there are only 3 at most 4 wires in that connector box.  If the data plate had a 300V rating on it then you could count on many more wires, and some possible choices of connections.  Maybe see 5A or so.  Even it the OP cracks the case open, cuts the star point and brings out those wires, he'll still only have 6 to work with.  I'm inferring this because dual-voltage motors allow parallel wire connections, but when the motor isn't built to allow it, then there simply aren't any ends to pick up at the star point.  This isn't a dual-voltage motor.

I usually refrain from suggesting to people that they can completely re-wind all the wire, turn down the rotor and install the magnets, all on their first go at converting a motor.  It's possible, but you want to have a few projects under your belt or a bunch of EE experience to know where you're going with that scale of project.  It's easier to just find a more suitable motor.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca