Author Topic: Liquid Metal Batteries for the Grid ...  (Read 3553 times)

WindyOne

Liquid Metal Batteries for the Grid ...
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »
A Boston-area startup has invented new liquid-based heavy-duty battery technology that its founders hope will be the foundation of the next-generation electricity grid in which alternative energy will play a key role. Ambri -- yet another company formed out of that bastion of modern invention, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) -- is developing giant cells that are comprised of liquid electrodes and an electrolyte capable of storing large amounts of solar and wind power at a low cost.

The battery is the brainchild of Donald Sadoway and Ambri CTO David Bradwell, co-founders of the company that developed the technology at MIT in the lab of Sadoway, a professor of materials chemistry there.

As Sadoway explained last year at a TED conference -- a talk posted in a video on the company's website -- he worked for about six years to come up with a battery chemistry that could meet the intensive needs of the power industry, which are “uncommonly high power, long service lifetime, and super-low cost.”

“With a giant battery, we could address the problem of intermittency that prevents wind and solar from contributing to the grid in the same way that coal and gas and nuclear do today,” Sadoway said. “The battery is the key enabling device here. With it we could draw electricity from the sun when the sun doesn't shine.”

He employed Bradwell -- then a post-doc at MIT -- to create the battery from his concept of using metals that when heated form liquids that are the basis for the battery, using a low-density liquid metal at top, a high-density liquid metal at bottom with a layer of molten salt in between as the electrolyte. The first battery created by Sadoway and Bradwell used magnesium at the top as the negative electrode and antimony at the bottom as the positive electrode.

The chemistry works like this: When the battery discharges power, magnesium atoms give off electrons that travel through the salt layer and react with the antimony. This forms an alloy and expands the bottom layer of the cell, or the cathode. To charge, the battery itself acts like a metal smelter, separating the magnesium from its alloy back through the electrolyte to return to the magnesium. In this way, too, the battery self heats, which keeps the metals liquid.

Ambri has since started using less expensive and higher voltage metals and salt for the battery, but it continues to work in the same way, according to the company. Eventually the cells will be stacked into modules the size of 40-ft shipping containers with “the nameplate capacity of two megawatt-hours -- 2 million watt-hours,” Sadoway said. “That's enough energy to meet the daily electrical needs of 200 American households,” he said. “So here you have it, grid-level storage: silent, emissions-free, no moving parts, remotely controlled, designed to the market price point without subsidy.”

Ambri is not the only company that's invented new technology that could allow energy generated by wind and solar sources to take a more central role in the utility grid. Automation vendor ABB said recently it had solved a longtime problem of how to transport power over long distances with the design of the first circuit breaker for high-voltage direct current, or HVDC. This would allow for connections between large wind farms and solar power grids from different places to be plugged into the traditional power grid, the company said.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Liquid Metal Batteries for the Grid ...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
Molten magnesium? I think I'll pass.

WindyOne

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »
Yep, you don't use water to put out a magnesium fire. You also don't use water to put out an oil fire but yet fast-food restaurants allow teanagers to cook with it every day of the year. You also don't go inside a radioactive nuclear reactor, too. And let's not forget that H2 and O2 gas created by a Lead Acid battery can explode and cause severe Sulphuric Acid burns. There are risks with many things. Each person or company needs to weigh the risk vs. the benefits.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »
Antimony has 4 allotropes, one of which can be detonated by mechanical shock.

Anything that can store megawatts of power and deliver it quickly is usually something I don't want around. A slower discharge might not be as desireable, but it's certainly safer to be around.

Oil and grease fires can cause damage, but are easy enough to smother.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20:04 AM »
*Any* concentrated store of energy can be dangerous as car and jetliner accidents and this illustrate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buncefield_fire

but somehow people forget that fuel tanks and nat gas pipelines and so on store vast amounts of easily-liberated energy even though that's precisely why we use them and get used to them.

Humans are *really* poor at evaluating many types of risk, and our panics about energy stores are a prime example.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

OperaHouse

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »
I worked on an ultrasonic whistle project years back.  It was to be used to detect the flow of liquid sodium in a nuclear reactor. 

In the late 1800's  the pleasure boat industry started.  A small steam engine required the owner to get an engineers certificate.  To get around that they boiled naptha instead of water. Like boiling gasoline.  Actually they had a good safety record.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
Let's not forget molten salts are usually in the range of 400C and higher, and they've had a very good safety record as far back as the late 40s.
Sure there are risks they'll need to address, but I'm optimistic.
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 02:26:39 AM »
I would imagine a burst container would result in everything solidifying rather rapidly. Just need a safety catch basin for the mess to sit and burn in if the magnesium goes up.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:43 AM »
I agree, and is what the Thorium-molten salt reactors are designing for. I the event of a burst, the molten salts go to an underground cooling section as stage1 then a second as stage2 just in case the first is not fully solidified.
Thorium will not self ignite so once the core is even in burst mode cools rather quickly and will not go into thermal runaway.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

joestue

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »
there was a thread about this magnesium antimony battery on here several months ago, i posted my thoughts on it.

to sum them up :a sodium-lead battery (would need to run a bit warmer, i think) should get you 10 times the power density and at least twice the energy density.

the power density of the magnesium antimony battery is 6 Kilowatts per cubic meter at 90% efficiency, due to the high resistance of the salt electrolyte layer.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146653.0
Edit:100 watts thermal losses per square meter of battery surface area. #not practical.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.