Remote Living > Lighting

LED battery substitution

<< < (3/4) > >>

Simen:
I'll agree on that point. ;)

Fyi;
Cobalt based cells has a thermal runaway at around 150deg. C., Manganese, 250C, and FePO4 ones, around 270C. :)

The cobalt ones are now better than they were in the beginning, but still not the safest. (I'm sure that's what the Dreamliners use... ;D ) Common to all of them nowadays, are internal pressure vents and temp fuses.

But they'll all get very hot if shorted/overloaded, and could ignite other stuff around it, so care should always be taken...

'nuff lecture; have fun... ;)

Crispy:
I have no real knowledge about these batteries but thought I'd share this if it could be of use.

I just ordered a device that helps to quit smoking. It produces a vapor with nicotine in it. The batterys come in 2 sizes and are Lithium ion with a voltage range from 4.2v fully charged to 3.2v at discharged. Capacities are 1500 mAh and 2800 mAh.

With all the references to safety issues in some of the posts I thought it would be of help to mention these as they are what's called "protected" batteries where internal circuitry built in will shut them down if they overheat.

If anybody is interested, I can report back later this week when they arrive with actual dimensions and pictures of the ends. This may be old news to many of you who play around with this stuff a lot but thought I'd share anyway.

Here's a link and since I'm past the 50 post threshold I should be safe doing this. Guaranteed NO SPAM  :D

https://www.vapor4life.com/omgad-18650

Simen:
Yup, i use the same kind of cells in my e-cigs... ;) Those are also the ones common in laptop battery packs.

As the number on the cell indicates, they're 18x65mm. ;)

mulan:
How do you get the base off the big one to try and replace the battery pack? Is it glued? Press fit? Any tricks to getting it apart?

Mary B:
Quick and dirty dummy cell is a piece of dowel the right diameter cut to length and wrapped with aluminum foil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version