Product Reviews > Reviews

Technical Support Tip for Davis Weather Link IP

(1/3) > >>

SparWeb:
Passing on a tip, hope it helps:

Last Sunday, my weather station software stopped uploading data to the internet.
It took me until Monday to notice, because the console was receiving data, and it was downloading to my computer at home just fine, too.
This didn't make a lot of sense because if the console's data logger can be "found" by the computer through the router, then surely the datalogger can find the router, and its updates to the Davis internet server.  But that's not true, it seems.  I tried re-booting the console, the router, and the computer, checked all of the connections, even cross-checked the temperature to see that it was current.  No problem.  Router could see the console's datalogger just fine.

But in the end my only recourse was to e-mail tech support...  ...They replied in reasonable time.  It turns out that a complete shut-down of the Davis console AND the router SIMULTANEOUSLY is necessary to accomplish the re-setting of the system.  I remember when Windows 98 networks behaved that way, but it's been a while.

Overall, I have been impressed with the amount of control, service, configuration, and performance information that the Davis system gives you.  It is loaded with features, and they all work.  It's clearly something that they have been fine-tuning for a very long time.  But that makes me all the more surprised that I couldn't track down and identify the problem myself!

Here is a copy of the e-mail that solved it, in case it's of help to anyone else with a similar problem.

--- Quote ---
Dear Steve:

Your data logger stopped updating your Weatherlink IP server account on Sunday.  (This is usually the result of a power surge; outage or lightning storm.)

Reinitialize the IP data logger at the station's site, using the following procedure:

1. Power down the VP Console or Envoy.  (Remove the backup batteries... then, unplug the AC adapter cable at the unit, NOT at the wall outlet.)

2. Wait 30 seconds.

3. Repower the console using the AC adapter cable.  Listen for 3 beeps (only 2 beeps, if an Envoy).
4. Hold down the DONE button for 2 seconds to pull up the Current Screen on the console.  Check to see that the green LED on the data logger dongle is glowing.

5. Refresh your “My Weather” page to see if your Current Conditions line changes to a white color, and bears the current time & date.

If this is NOT successful, then try the following procedure:

1. Power down the VP Console or Envoy.  (Remove the backup batteries... then, unplug the AC adapter cable at the unit, NOT at the wall outlet.)

2. Power down your broadband router for 20 seconds.  Leave the logger's Ethernet cable connected to the router.

3. Repower the router. Wait at least one minute until the router's lights stabilize.

4. Repower the VP Console or Envoy using the AC adapter cable.  Listen for 3 beeps if a Console, 2 beeps if an Envoy.
5. Hold down the DONE button for two seconds to pull up the Current Screen on the console.  Check to see that the green LED on the data logger dongle is glowing.

6. Refresh your “My Weather” page to see if your Current Conditions line changes to a white color, and bears the current time & date.

7. Call us here in Tech Support if you're still having problems, at (510) 732-7814.  We are open from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, Pacific time.

Sincerely,

Brian Carpenter
Technical Support Representative
Davis Instruments
(510) 732-7814
Don't forget to check out our FAQ's at http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/faq/index.asp

--- End quote ---

*I would add a step after re-powering the console:

--- Quote ---The console should show the setup menu automatically.  The settings should remain as they were, but make sure the clock shows the correct time.
--- End quote ---

I'm pointing it out because, when I re-set my console, the clock was about an hour behind, and I didn't notice.  Soon after, I couldn't figure out why the next update didn't get added to the log.  After more fussing, I found the new updates, dropped into the wrong time-slots.  By the time I found the cause, the console had over-written 30-minutes of good records with records from the wrong time.  Fixing the clock made the next record appear 1 hour after the previous one.  So now I have a gap in the readings, too.

It's pretty likely that there were surges in the power lines on Sunday.  It was very windy, and strong winds often cause brown-outs here.  As Brian said, these can cause the Weatherlink IP to lose its connection.

Well the system has been working since then...
...with the exception of the anemometer - in unrelated news, ice fog can cause crystals to grow on surfaces.  In the case of my anemometer, it can freeze up for days at a time.
Don't get me wrong - This is NOT Davis' fault!  Today was sunny so at around 4PM it finally thawed enough to turn again.  I wonder if any remaining frost affects the accuracy of the anemometer.

Two problems in as many days with the weather station, one caused directly by weather (ice), and the other problem (interrupted data) was ALSO caused by the weather.  Ironic isn't it though?  :)

XeonPony:
looks like aq good system, now where can I get a NON wireless one dammit! I hate wireles stuff!

Found one! Cool as I been searching for a good loging non-wireless system for a long time. what voltage doe sit run at?

SparWeb:
The Davis Vantage system has two basic parts, the outdoor station and indoor console.  The outdoor station is solar powered, so it must be pointed south.  The indoor console runs on batteries for a good long while, but I keep mine plugged in with a wall-wart.  So neither need to be remotely powered in any tricky way; it's been provided for already.

BTW, wireless is bad in really weather stations (Walmart 100$ kits).  I had one for a day, it never worked, I returned it to the store, so I understand your frustration. 

The Davis console has a configuration screen that shows detailed readings of radio signal strength.  Davis only guarantees 1000 feet range, but my station and console are 1200 feet apart and the signal strength is.... (checking it now...)   ...about 30% (above the 20% minimum) and 98% of the data packets have been received with correct checksums.  It also shows a background noise measurement of 9 (on a scale of 5 to 60) meaning there aren't any "noisy" devices around.  I guess the console and station could be farther apart and still work well together.

XeonPony:
reason I ask for the voltage is if I can run it off my batt bank directly. 

SparWeb:

--- Quote from: XeonPony on March 09, 2013, 11:59:19 AM ---reason I ask for the voltage is if I can run it off my batt bank directly. 

--- End quote ---

Oh, that shouldn't be difficult.  The console requires a wall-wart, which converts 120VAC to 4.5V DC.  You should be able to set up a small DC power supply from the battery bank.  I've seen some people taking apart USB power converters that plug into car outlets, which are about 5$ apiece and get you 12V-5V already in the package.  All that's left for you to do is open the tube and make a cable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version