Author Topic: rectification with stud mount diodes  (Read 5128 times)

just-doug

rectification with stud mount diodes
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:29:19 AM »
wanting to build a three phase brigde rectifier.going to try useing the powermx diodes.with my limited knowlege,i think i will need three positive and three negitive diodes.mount three positives on a heat sink that is electicaly conductive.do the same with the negitive doides on eletricaly conductive heat sink.one heat sink should be negitve dc, the other pos dc.the wild ac hooks to the wires feeding the diode.if i have this wrong,someone please correct me

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: rectification with stud mount diodes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 04:35:40 AM »
Yes that's right.

Flux

sunandwindy

• www.sunandwindy.bitz.me.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:49:03 AM »
Here's my bridge rectifier

A few more examples here - http://sunandwindy.bitz.me.uk/page02.htm
Based in the UK near Gloucester/Herefordshire boarders

just-doug

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
thank you for the pic.have you used it yet.do you use a cover on it and does it get very warm?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:13:02 AM »
I don't think the box in that photo is complete or ready to work yet.  I haven't seen that project before, but I can tell it's missing something.  It needs vents, fans, louvers, or something to let the hot air escape.

When enclosing diodes in a protective box, you need to provide some way for the heat to get out, all the way out.  Normally, the heat will be conducted to the heat-sinks, where it (a) radiates away and (b) convects the air.  If the air is locked in a box then the convection loss is cut off.  If the radiated energy is captured in the box, and then re-radiated from the warm box wall, half going out and half back inward then the box acts as an insulator, and keeps heat inside.  That makes the diodes even hotter than they would be.

It's definitely wise to enclose diodes and the heat sink in something, especially if the heat sink becomes electrically active in the circuit.  Safety demands at least that.  But to enclose them without any way of letting the heat out will lead to trouble.  If you want to re-use something more appropriate, I'd suggest using a box somewhat like a house fuse panel or circuit breaker panel, with lots of space inside, holes, and insulated tabs for mounting things.  Knock-out a lot of the conduit holes from the sides of that box and there will be plenty of ways for air to circulate. 

Another consideration is if it will be mounted outdoors or indoors.  Obviously it's harder to leave open holes in the box if you don't want rain/snow/leaves/birds to get inside.  They need grilles, louvers or covers etc.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

sunandwindy

• www.sunandwindy.bitz.me.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »
The 'box' is complete in as much as its wired (bar no output wires). The lid is not vented as when I have run it so far, there was no heat to get excited about, but more testing required.

I have used HD diodes (I've not checked out their numbers to get their specifications), or at least that's what I think they are. They may be something else as when I checked the output on a scope I had some very weird signals (pickies on my website), so want to make another three phase bridge rectifier with known components.
Based in the UK near Gloucester/Herefordshire boarders

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
It really depends on the Input and ratings of your diodes.

In a real blow, they can get mighty warm, so Its important to have an adequate heatsink.

Over the years i have lost several diodes, probably poor quality. see http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,147366.0.html
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery