Author Topic: Building a solar panel ground mount-doing the engineering math  (Read 1947 times)

SolarFlare

Hi Guys!
I am trying to design and build my own solar panel ground mounts. Each mount will have 3 240 watt mx solar panels. I am hearing that mounts have to meet enginering standards. I was wondering if there is a program that could tell me how much force is applied to a flat structure surface area, at a given angle, given a wind speed. Yeah, I know...probably not...

Open to any thoughts. I am using unistrut products to build my panel racks.

Thanks!

azjustin

Re: Building a solar panel ground mount-doing the engineering math
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »
Is your project being inspected by a local gov't?  If so, then some localities require it to have an engineer's stamp since there is nothing in the the code books for solar panel mounts (designs, requirements, etc..).  That stamp is (usually) easily attainable if you buy a pre-engineered product.

I'm currently in the process of a ground mount, grid tie system, and Pro Solar was the cheapest racking I could find.  Dig really hard on the internet and you can find their stuff pretty cheap.  Basically, anything that comes in a box you buy from them, the rest you buy locally.

If it's not being inspected, then have fun!  There's hundreds of posts of here that very accurately describe how people have done their own systems and how well they have stood up to the elements.  Personally, if it's DIY, then overkill is the best way to go.

And my absolute favorite: copy someone else's design, especially if it's already engineered.  You could spend a lifetime on loads, forces, calcs, etc., and never figure it out unless that's what you do for a living.  A lot of time on Google can save you a lot of money on design.

Just my 2c, have fun.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:05:58 PM »
Life time? took me all of 5 days, and 4 days of that was just hunting down local weather history and average soil conditions, the rest is simple formulas

wind loading is the biggest, and only two wind directions are an issue dead on and dead behind.

from there all the rest follows nicely.

I'll have to dig around and get the formulas again.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »
I just looked at the wind I deal with for every building project and built heavy duty, 4x6 timbers were only a few dollars more than 4x4's.  Why scrimp on something holding $1k+++ of solar panels? Build it heavier than needed and sleep sound