Microcontrollers > Data Logging

Solar hot water heater – Data Logging

<< < (4/4)

Bruce S:
Since we're on the subject of possibilities :).
have you tried the freeware options instead of Microsoft?
Due to work mandates, I have to use Excel 2013 otherwise would not.
The temp log plus bimetallic fan part could be built on or near bottom with greenhouse style vent on top. push cooler air up hot air out?
The workmanship on the piping is inspiring.
Thanks for the posts! I too would like more pics of the buildup.
Gary's site is also a host of great info :) and he's always answered any emails I've sent him.
Cheers
Bruce S

David HK:
Advance notice of a new article to come within the next few weeks - sooner not later.

The system went out of service some years ago because the sensor connector wires inside the heater box failed due to the intense heat and sunlight. The delicate ribbon wire plastic changed colour, then went hard, and became brittle to the touch. Copper plated connectors and contacts within the box also suffered oxidisation.

For the past few weeks (July and August 2022) I have been installing new sensors with new sensor wires (Ground, +5 volts, and data) ready to connect to a new PCB terminal connector pad in the heater box and the same in my home office. These should arrive from the USA on Monday 29th August 2022.

A new innovation on the PCB connector pads will be the use of Cat 5 cable and RJ45 male and female connectors for the wiring running around the house.

Tests with the software and a few surviving sensors have already been made and that part of the system works as it did in the year 2013.

David HK

MattM:
That's great its been around 9 years.

What climate are you in?

David HK:
I left the United Kingdom on the 21st February 1969 to join the Hong Kong Police Force.

That was my salaried adult life, and I am now retired with a Chinese wife and grown up daughter.

My solar hot  water heater will outlast me - I shall be 74 years of age in a few weeks time. This web site article already gives an insight into its construction.

This summer has been very hot and a few days ago an independent water temperature gauge indicated 95 Celsius. This is when it frightens me, but don't be fooled. The water inside  the pipes is at 60 PSI and thus pressurised - like a car radiator - and the true boiling point in this situation is about 144 Celsius. Whilst on  this subject I have an Excel file which cross references values for Celsius, Fahrenheit, Metres Head of Water, Kilo Pascal, Bar, Mercury mm HG, KG/cm2, and Mpa. If anybody wants a copy please send me a private message with an e-mail address.

Very high temperatures are noticeable when the atmosphere is exceptionally clean and pollution and cloud free. This usually occurs twice at year in the spring and autumn transition times.

I do not record daily water temperatures in the solar box, but try to do so on meaningful dates which are well known - for example the solstice/equinoxes, my birthday, Christmas Day, very hot or very cold days, plus anything else whiich is unusual such as typhoons and super typhoons.

The sensors also tell an invisible story as to what happens to the climate inside the solar box when hot water is drawn out and replaced by incoming cooler water.

In my previous note I mentioned the PCB boards arriving on Monday 29th August. This is a human error and should read Friday - in two days time. This delivery date may not happen because a tropical storm now affects Hong Kong.

I trust you find this helpful and look forward to posting more news and photographs within the next seven days.

David HK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version