Author Topic: hydrogen?  (Read 2236 times)

eddy_currents

hydrogen?
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »
 Thanks to circumstance, and the fortunate price drop in solar panels, I find myself with 20kw surplus to my needs. Now I can ofcourse sell it, store it, install it, but my real interest is in using this to produce some type of fuel for driving. Naturally hydrogen production comes to mind. I have heard of hydrogen cars, I am not up on the engine mods needed to undertake such a conversion that may well be my second question, for now I am wondering if anyone has done such a thing?...Even if not fully run off hydrogen has, or can such a system be built to use hydrogen as a suplimental fuel as can be done with diesel engines, using propane fed into the air stream,(propane fumagation)
Anyone tried?
Also if not hydrogen is there another fuel that 20kw of electrical could produce of simillar use?
It just seems a waste not to use this power to offset what is now my greatest cost, fuel consumption.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: hydrogen?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:41:48 PM »
tecker posted a bit about a system he put together for his truck.

eddy_currents

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
Thanks, looking for it now.....he has a lot of posts to go through, I could  be a while....

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »
Here's a working system, and it cost plenty back in the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEdQRVQtffw

It can be done.  You can build your own separating electrolyser, but it's not cheap either

Turtle
soli deo gloria

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »
and it all needs to be stainless and you need to have a catyletic recombiner for the H2 befor compressing it and storing it, you need the inside of the tanks treated with a polimer to protect the carbon steel from embritlement.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!