Microcontrollers > Microcontrollers/General

ATmega328P for OpenTRV use

(1/15) > >>

DamonHD:
Hi,

Running alongside the PICAXE version, I'm trying to build a stack based on Arduino / ATmega which should still be easy for DIYers to use/adapt, though with the prospect of a more sophisticated solution with the low-level C/asm control possible within that framework.

Today I got the basic control loop running at 1Hz, flashing an LED, from the target 2xAA NiMH rechargables.  It uses only about 1uA for the microcontroller, and about an average of 2uA for the LED (on a rather pathetic 0.1% duty cycle).

So now, I can try an replicate some of the other functionality on this platform.

Rgds

Damon

PS. The Arduino route is more involved: I had to beg for a special version of the bootloader, and I already killed one chip moving back and forth between getting the bootloader in and dropping it into circuit.  That's a lot faster than I let the smoke out from a PICAXE!

PPS. Here's the sketch (in development) as built in the Arduino IDE 1.0.3: https://sourceforge.net/p/opentrv/code-0/HEAD/tree/trunk/Arduino/V0p2_Main/

DamonHD:
Hi,

It looks like my local university will help me run a proper controlled trial this winter to see if this tech really does delivery good savings, better than simple mechanical TRVs alone.

I have (almost) all the PICAXE functionality and then some on the Atmega, and a lot of elbow room for more.

A nice little chip.

We're working on a PCB for this one, which may be the production model for winter (for up to 100 units!).

Rgds

Damon

SparWeb:
Cool
Are you responsible for the instrumentation of the apartments too?

DamonHD:
This device is capable of some recording and logging (and already does some), so I guess that one thing we'll need to decide at our meeting tomorrow is what instrumentation is required and what is required beyond what the gadget can already do.

At the very least I think we'll separately want to monitor building energy consumption to look for improvements.

Rgds

Damon

SparWeb:
Actually what I was getting at was how big the study group was going to be, and how many researchers involved.  My understanding of a "controlled" trial tells me that there are volunteers to have your device installed, meaning you'll need a lot of them, and other volunteers, who use the system they are already equipped with, but probably a hodgepodge of thermostats, none of which record data, and most of which will not be accurate.  The volunteers in all groups will need some sort of equipment fitted in their homes.  Somebody has to go set every one up, and make sure it works...  and troubleshoot each one that breaks down...

Anyway, you have a small team working on this with you, many hands make light work.

Still, I don't often hear of the initiation of such a study - one usually only hears of the results when published in a journal, so it does pique my interest; the logistical questions and so on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version