Author Topic: inverter/genny grounding  (Read 1313 times)

madlabs

inverter/genny grounding
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
Hi All,

Doing my first real installation of a proper PV power system and have a few questions. My first system doesn't count, it was a do it with what ya got. This time I'm going it right.

So, here is the first question: My AC generator like most small gennys has the ground bonded to neutral. With my Trace 2512 I had a relay that switched the grounds from the breaker box to the genny to make sure that I only ever had one spot where the neutral was tied to ground. I never really liked that though as a burnt relay coil could result in unsafe operation.

So what I'm thinking of doing this time is to put a key switch on the genny that either makes or breaks the ground to neutral connection. Key switch so that it can't be accidentally changed. The genny does get used elsewhere, so I want to keep my grounding options open. Does this seem like a sane solution?

Jonathan

RandomJoe

• Joe's Time-Waster
Re: inverter/genny grounding
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
That's similar to what I did with mine.  In my case I had to go the other way - Honda EU2000i did NOT have the internal bond, and my furnace controller didn't like it.  I didn't want to cut on my shiny new generator, so I bought a 3-prong plug and jumpered neutral to ground in it.  If I need the bond, plug it into a spare outlet on the generator.  If not, pull it out.