Author Topic: sand filter in a propane tank- will it stink?mell out  (Read 15453 times)

madlabs

sand filter in a propane tank- will it stink?mell out
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:34:58 AM »
Hi All,

Just got a Chofu (Japanese wood fired water heater) and a hillbilly hot tub. My old sand filter is cracked, so I want to make a new one. An old 5 gallon propane tank looks like it would be a pretty easy mod, but I am worried that I won't be able to get the hydrogen sulphide smell out of the tank and stink up my water. Anyone know if it will wash out of the tank, or will it persist?

Thanks!

JOnathan

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: sand filter in a propane tank- will it stink?mell out
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »
If you plan on cutting the tank I hope you have good life insurance for your widow.

People who professionally cut these burn out the smell after cutting doors for a BBQ pit.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
I have some propane tanks that im going to cut in half (I use a saber saw). I figure I will fill them with soap and water before I cut them open.

JW

madlabs

Re: sand filter in a propane tank- will it stink?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
No worries, I'm a volunteer firefighter! :-)

Seriously, I flushed with compressed air, then filled it full of water. No propane left, no problem. I cut a hole on the side near the bottom with a torch, then welded a 3/4" union nut on the tank. This let me make a manifold out of PVC that I can stick in the side and get out to clean.

After running it with bleach and then laundry soap then flushing it, it seems ok smell wise. I filled it 3/4 of the way with sand, then flushed it a bunch, circulated water between it and a 5 gallong bucket until it started to clear up. Then I tossed it in the hot tub and an hour later it looks like it's cleaning up the water! And no bad smell so far! One dirt cheap sand filter!

Jonathan

madlabs

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »
Just went and checked and it is clearing the water for sure! It's been running for a couple of hours now and I'd say the water is about 75% clear. Be interesting to see how clear it gets it. In any case, it will work well enough for my hillbilly hot tub. Which is heating as I type this! :)

Jonathan

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »
no pictures?

JW

madlabs

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »
OK, I'm gonna try to attach some pics. First is the filter, you can see the nut from a 3/4" union welded to the tank. What you cant see is that allows me to attach a section of PVC pipe with a bunch of slits in it, then slid it into the tank. If you take apart a unoin and look at the pieces it will make sense. The hose is 1" bilge pump hose and the pump is a Rule 2000 gpm bilge pump.

7169-0

It's only allowing me to attach one pic. so I'll post another below.

madlabs

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »
Drat, the filter pic is sideways. Here is a shot of the whole setup. The Chofu is burning in this pick, very clean burner. I admit this is a total hillbilly hot tub. If a hot tub could wear a wifebeater and have a beer belly, this one would!

7170-0

Still, it's gonna be nice tonight! And the water is getting nice and clear. I love making things out of crap I have lying around. :)

Jonathan

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »
Sweet, sweet

The Fixx - Built for the Future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6HzUdW0S90

JW

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 08:15:32 AM »
I'm rather fond of the towel holder  ;D. Milk crates are so versatile!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

madlabs

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »
Yeah, love milk crates, as you can see from the pic. Also note the battery charger being used to power the bilge pump. Redneck and proud!

The filter works great. Water is perfectly clean again. Huge effort/reward on this project, couple hours of work and $0.

Jonathan

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »
madlabs' will you be able to do a back flush or  cleanout when the filter has absorbed its limit
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

madlabs

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
Yeah, no problem, just hook the pump up backwards. That's what I did after I put the sand in to clean it. If the filter works well for a while I'll even plumb a couple of valves in etc. to make flushing easier.

So far it's doing great, had a bunch of folks in the tub last night and the pump cleaned the water right up - sparkling again. I am going to have to inuslate it though, big heat waster. But the Chofu works so well and uses so little wood I almost don't care. :-)

Jonathan

madlabs

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
Just thought I'd update this project. Alas, after a few months the propane tank filter started to rust the tank out. Periodically the filter would vomit out a bunch of rust and discolor the water. I should have tried to pour some paint into the tank (after some phosphoric acid treatment) and rolled it around to coat the inside. However, I don't think I can ever get this tank clean enough to do that with now.

So, I took a stainless and plastic filter housing that was designed for a paper filter and converted it to a sand filter. It is working great, a better manifold design is giving me better GPM with a deeper layer of sand. I think this one is going to work for a long time.

One interesting thing, I used some floating crop cover (also called Remay) as a cover for the manifold in the first filter. When I took the first filter apart, the fabric was in perfect condition, no degradation at all. So it seems to stand up to hot bromine water, good to know.

Jonathan

Frank S

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 04:07:14 AM »
 Just a point of reference I have a friend who distributes some excellent rust preventive products
 there are others who distribute these as well but I have known him for many years he ships the product out with-in hours and sometimes minutes of receiving payment
 Great guy to deal with
 You can check out the products at the following web site
http://justoldtrucks.gostorego.com/

I buy a couple gallons of the Aquaclean and the Rust blast every month and have used some of the paint coatings as well
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

madlabs

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »
Frank, thanks for the link, I hadn't seen those products. I think I'll order a couple of quarts and see how it goes. Prices seem reasonable. While I am happy with the new filter, there are a lot of things to use propane tanks for, I have one I want to convert to hold compressed air.

Jonathan

Frank S

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »
Johnathan on th Old trucks forum we call it magic water I am restoring my 49 Chevy and have used the rust blast to literally wash off the rust. On small parts and bolts I just dump them in a plstic container and pour the rust blast over them then let set over night then rinse with plain water parts will come out free of rust and a dark gray color that is the zinc oxide coating I then just brush off any loose chalk looking substance and prime or leave them until I am ready I have a friend who dipped half a as a test part then just tossed it outside it has been a year and a half and it has not re rusted on the treated area
 I wouldn't recommend using for potable drinking water  but the tank sealer works better than "Pour 15"

madlabs

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
Maybe I'll try doing an electrolytic rust removal on the inside, should be easy enough to drop a cathode in the middle through the top. I just won't be able to reach much of it with a sand blaster. I wouldn't mind trying to salvage this tank. They are easy enough to come by, but waste not want not. Then I'd try the rust buster and the sealer. Think the sealer could be poured into the tank and then roll it around to coat the inside? Or is it too thick?

Jonathan

madlabs

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
Just noticed the tank sealer. Have you tried that Frank?

Jonathan

Frank S

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 02:58:08 AM »
Not yet  My tank needs the full treatment Aquaclean/Rust blast / Sealer but have a ways to go before I ned to get into that and I might decide to cut the tank open and graft an section into it to increase the gallons . I've killed cut and modified dozens of gas and diesel tanks and used to teach a hazardous vessel course for guys wanting to get on at refineries .
 I know guys who have used both the pour 15 and the KBS systems and they swear by the KBS that's about all I have if you have questions contact Eddy Lucust  his contact info should be on the Site . Like I said he is a long time personal friend and he is very knowledgeable about the products