Author Topic: 30m tower in tas  (Read 2567 times)

bennyspoon

30m tower in tas
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »
hey gang, here are some pics of my wind turbine tower that i built about 18 months back. had to move the batteries before i could get the turbine up. the tower is 30 meters being 4x 6 meter  and 2x shorter lengths of 100mm {4"} steel pipe. the gin pole is the same material and 15 meters in length. the anchors are all over a cubic meter of concrete each and the hinge pin mount is close to that too. there are 5 guys per side, the top being 10mm and the remainder 6mm. due to a slight oversight on my behalf the hinge was not quite the right angle for the slope it is on, so the winch pulls downwards to a pulley then up to the gin pole pulley { thanks wpowokal }. the winch is one that came off a tow truck coupled to a rewired garden shredder motor. still not sure how i got it going both ways but i did! it has quite a reduction in the winch meaning it takes about 20 minutes to raise the tower. it could do with a bigger motor,but it'll do for now.the turbine is an old stock unitron ue 6 purchased off ebay. 650 massive watts of power! when we raised her up today we had a few slight gusts and managed a mighty 7 amps {@48 volts} , not earth shattering but way better than no amps! this is my first turbine so i'm very happy right now.when i find time or if this unit goes kak i will most likely build on as per the site. i would like to express my thanks to the contributors of this site for being both inspirational and informative. it's a great resource to be able to draw on. lets see if i can upload these pics.
cheers,
ben.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 30m tower in tas
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »
Those are some mighty trees you have there - no wonder you need such a tall tower!

Thanks for posting pics.  Lots of quality work - your welds are better than mine will ever be.
If you posted about the gin pole angle before, did anybody suggest mounting it on a separate hinge point at the time?

PS: Don't let that stationary generator unit be camera shy for long, some members on the site will enjoy seeing more pix of that too.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

gww

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »
 COOL!
gww

bennyspoon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
thanks chaps. i don't recall if anyone suggested that or not back then, but it seems to work well enough for now. i will post some photos of listy up when he's all prettied up. he's mounted in the powerhouse but is yet to have the cooling and electricals hooked up. hopefully not long.

just-doug

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
very nice!those threaded  clevis have a bad rep for un threading them selves.you have a bunch of them.aleast use loctite.if you have a portable welder,tacking the plain end is a possibility.i have on ocassion used grade 8 bolts with ny lock nuts.over all,very nice,good luck with it

bennyspoon

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:16 PM »
hey there just doug,, when you say clevis  do you mean the bow shackles or the turnbuckles? now that the tower is up for a while and the guys have had time to stretch i have tie wired  all of the bow shackles to one another.

ben.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
What you call the bow shackles are clevis, note the hole in the end of the screw? I would safety wire them.