Author Topic: Solar Wire  (Read 3039 times)

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Solar Wire
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »
Here's a movie from the company that I got our solar wire from that explains the differences between the two types of wire that are legal under NEC in the US and Canada for solar installations.  But neither one of these two types of wire are cheap.

To save some money on our solar installation I used THHN 600V 90C wire in conduit from the array combiners to the Service Disconnects for the controllers. 
--
Chris

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Solar Wire
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
The special cable is for pane interconnects, once in a junction box and conduit rest of it can be whatever meets local code.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
The special cable is for pane interconnects

And also must be used from array panel strings to the combiner.  I put the combiners as close to the arrays as possible to save on money on the expensive cable.  But it still don't take long to go thru a 250 foot spool on a 6 kw array wired at 92.4 Vmp with 8 strings.  The 250 foot spool of wire only provides you a run of 15 feet from each string to the combiner on an array that size.  And if the array is arranged in two banks, it's 40 feet from one of the array to the other.  The dollars add up pretty quick - copper ain't cheap anymore.
--
Chris

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
Would it have been cheaper to use a panel mounted inverter and string those together, like an Enphase? Maybe one that ties two panels together to save on inverter costs.

https://enphase.com/

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
 Chris;Since my 1.1Kw array will be mounted on a 6" pipe about 10 ft high I will be using the MC4 connectors  and branch connectors then to the combiner/s, I have only a very short run  so the expense is not so great for the Solar cable. From the combiner/s to my charge controller I will probably use 4awg because I have plenty of it I know that 4awg is way over kill for a 20 ft run on an array of this size but so what?
 I have 350MCM to connect my 3000watt inverter to my bank as well and that distance is only  5 feet
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:59:43 PM »
Would it have been cheaper to use a panel mounted inverter and string those together, like an Enphase?

We don't have grid power, so those little inverters do us no good.  And I don't want to use AC coupling on the inverter.

Chris;Since my 1.1Kw array will be mounted on a 6" pipe about 10 ft high I will be using the MC4 connectors  and branch connectors then to the combiner/s

You can put two strings together without breakers between the strings.  But once you go to three or more strings of panels then you need a breaker in the combiner rated at the fast blow fuse rating for every string to prevent a fire in the event a string shorts out.  So those branch connectors are pretty much worthless for anything but a two string array where you can use one to combine the output of the two strings into one pair of wires.

The reason NEC requires a breaker on each string when you have three more more is because if one string shorts out it can handle the short circuit current from one string it's in parallel with it.  But it can't handle the output of two (or more) strings.

The peak input current to the controllers from our 6 kW array is 70 amps.  But the array is split with 3.75 kW facing south on one combiner (peak 45 amps) and the other 2.25 kW array is east/west facing at 22.5° tilt (peak 25 amps).  So I ran #6 THHN from the combiners to the controller disconnects, and from the disconnects into the controllers.  The Service Disconnects have 60 amp breakers.  I have #4 THHN from the controllers to the DC bus with 100 amp breakers at the bus on each controller.

NEC requires the Service Disconnect breaker and circuit to be rated at 125% of the Service Rating.  But that depends on the temperature and what breakers and boxes you use.  #6 THHN is rated 75 amps @ 90C.  But the terminals in the box and breakers are only 75C rated.  So that drops the rating of the circuit and circuit protection to 65 amps.  The minimum to pass inspection for a 50 amp high voltage DC Service Entrance into a residence is 62 amps.  But the inspector passed it with 60 amp breakers in the Service Disconnects for the arrays.
--
Chris

bart

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 12:54:18 AM »
   I believe this is the most current:
http://ia700805.us.archive.org/20/items/gov.law.nfpa.nec.2011/nfpa.nec.2011.pdf

WARNING: Huge file. Solar at 690, wind at 694