Author Topic: Ruddy's Mini Mill  (Read 17950 times)

dave ames

Re: Ruddy's Mini Mill
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 12:30:24 AM »

Hey Bryan,

I'm late to the party due to limited net access for the time being.

Great to hear you have found time to get back to the "mini"..but not so good if the time is from an injury?..rocks?

You know you went through all that work with this set of coils,..and sounds like you have plenty of resin..so why the heck not try out a "screaming mini"..? That 385 RPM ain't all that fast for a smallish set of blades. Something around 1.5 meters might be a go.

With what looks like an easy to adjust rotor airgap you could twist up another stator for a larger blade set or even a coil set to match those VAWT wings you spoke of at some later date?

Thanks for the update!
fun stuff  :)
cheers, dave

Gordy

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »
Bryan,

1. Very nice build.

2. I have been away from this group for too long if this is now considered a mini ;-)

Gordy

ruddycrazy

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 08:14:34 PM »
G'day Guy's,
                 My mini mill is getting there and any future posts will be at  http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,78.0.html as I've decided to basically become a read only (when I'm bored) member.

Cheers Bryan

ruddycrazy

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 03:20:26 AM »
G'day Guy's,
                    Well finally got around to putting that mini mill in the lathe again after playing around getting the gap right etc. First tried open circuit and @ around 450rpm not much over 16 volts DC. So decided to see how this stator would go for a 12 volt array. At 350 rpm started getting current and at 380 rpm the fluke was saying 3.8 amps. Turned the pot to increase the speed but only saw the lathe bogging down then the VFD tripped for over current.

So that stator with 45 turns is only good for 12 volts so may have to think about making a new stator with more turns. Also I have made a 2 metre blade set for this mini mill just out of pine so with some gorilla tape on the leading edge it will be interesting to see how long the pine lasts.

Cheers Bryan

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »
If the VFD tripped, then it's only rated for 1/2 kW or less, I guess.
Are you sure you can't get more than one data point?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca