Author Topic: Grid Tied 12' Homebrew  (Read 2624 times)

remarc

Grid Tied 12' Homebrew
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:02:49 PM »
I am looking for some advice on winding the stator for a 12' Homebrew that is connected to a Ginlong 3kW Grid Tied Inverter (GTI) . We have been flying this 12' machine for about 6 months with a stator wound for a 100V at cut in. It doesn't make much power at the lower wind speeds but does fairly well in the mid to upper wind speeds. I wasn't around when the last stator was made but I did install the machine. The voltage range for the Ginlong GTI is 30V-540V with a max DC input of 600V and 20Adc and a DC nominal voltage of 400V (per spec sheet). We also have a Ginlong controller and Ginlong dump load with the system.

I am thinking of winding this one for 200V-300V cut in possibly. I am new to this aspect of building the machine so be gentle. Maybe someone could explain to me in somewhat simple terms how this whole process of arriving at a number of turns with the proper size copper wire equals a certain voltage at cut in.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Grid Tied 12' Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
No UL listing on that inverter is the first thing that is going to come up.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:53:46 PM »
Wiring it for a higher voltage cut-in is not going to get you more power in low winds. The power isn't there. Power goes up with the cube of the wind speed. Your controller allows a cut-in at 30v so you are discarding the energy available from 30 to 100 already.

dexterdixon

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »
Hi,

I was considering using the Ginlong 3kW GTI for hooking up to a 48V battery charging machine - allowing it to run up to ~130V with an LDR 96-15 controller clamping the max dc voltage.

I was under the impression they have enough of a programable curve to run them at whatever voltage range you want - so long as you keep an eye on the max VDC

Have you played with programming the curve?

Have you got any figures for your output vs windspeed?

Tom