Author Topic: Where did the hot water go?  (Read 1936 times)

OperaHouse

Where did the hot water go?
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »
Anyone with a summer camp knows that in a few years the place of rest becomes constant maintenance. Expedience soon becomes the way.  Last year I added a 6 gallon point of use water heater to the system.  It was 2000W @ 120v and it worked fine giving me a hot shower with only 24-36V when I had excess solar power.  Once fall set in there was only enough sun to run the fridge and went back to propane.  I piped the electric water heater into the cold side so just had to remember to turn the valve the opposite direction.

This year it has been hot so haven't wanted a real hot shower, but The water barely makes it tolerable to get in.  It finally dawns on me that the toilet is being flushed with water from the electric tank.  Even a lo-flow toilet can do many exchanges on a 6 gallon tank.  Finally remembered I would turn valves under the kitchen sink just before a shower.  Wife keeps asking when I am going to make the house something a normal person can use.   When we arrived this year it took two days to get the fridge rinning reliably.  Two of the first panels I put out didn't fit in the rack.  I wasn't till the next day I remembered those two were defective and were wired for 6V because of dead sections.  Then other panels were connected to wires that didn't go any place.   The control panel always has some unknown wires from an experiment I was doing last year.  I need to get a notebook!

madlabs

Re: Where did the hot water go?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »
Ha! How many times can you say that you have literally been flushing hot water down the tube!

I feel ya, when you come back to a project that you started or finished a long time ago. Sometimes I come back to code I wrote even just a few months ago and have to spend an hour figgering out what the heck I was doing. It looks like so much nonsense at first.

Keep at it. It'll come back to you by the time you're done... :-)

Jonathan

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Where did the hot water go?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
all ways draw a schematic of any thing you make! makes life real simple for mods or upgrades, as they say, if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when do ya think you'll have time to do it right the second time around !

feel for ya been there don that and never again!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!