Author Topic: Solar update - online monitoring  (Read 3839 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Solar update - online monitoring
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »
  After recently installing an additional 1100 watts of voltaic, wiring my complete home transfer switches, panel interlock switch and generator socket I have also gone live with my web monitoring for my system here at http://data.magnumenergy.com/MW5245/ Plenty of additional projects in the works including recent updates on my thermal and wind systems as well. More to follow.  Dave B.

DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

madlabs

Re: Solar update - online monitoring
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
What are you using to log and post the data?

I have the same inverter and battery monitor, just haven't installed them yet.

Jonathan

bart

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
   I believe he is using this:
http://donrowe.com/accessories/me_mw_w.html

That is looking nice Dave. Was curious about your battery cut out. Seems a little low. Have mine set at 46.6.

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
Yes, it is the Magweb unit. The low battery cut out at 45 vdc is the default and I'll probably bump it up but for now it will never get close to being an issue. I'm running AC connect well above that but to be safe it would be smart to raise it up, thanks. So much to do and so little time, it's been a very busy year Thanks for the compliments. Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

peter altas

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 06:30:35 AM »
Are there any options for doing something like this without having your brand inverter/battery monitor?

Something like a generic system or one that uses its own independent shunt?

I'd love this type of functionality but I don't think it's a cheap option with victron.
Exide GNB Energystore 4RP1800NX2 1800Ah C100 @ 24V battery bank
2x Victron Multi Plus 24/3000/70 Inverter Chargers
3x Outback Power Flexmaxx MPPT solar charge controllers
3.4kW Solar PV Array (6x 175W Sharp, 12x 195W Solar Enertech)
Honda powered Gentech 4.4kVA petrol/LPG generator

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:54:41 AM »
Are there any options for doing something like this without having your brand inverter/battery monitor?

Something like a generic system or one that uses its own independent shunt?

I'd love this type of functionality but I don't think it's a cheap option with victron.

Pentimetric will conect via either net, but you'd need to make a web interface for it to post resualts online.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

stephendv1

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 03:36:55 AM »
For what it's worth, I've cobbled together a similar type of system using a raspberry pi computer some RS485 connectors and the Mango automation software.  Only works for Sunny Island inverters and Midnite classic charge controller at the moment.  The project is detailed here: http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com/blog/island-manager/

The idea was to have a fully automated and monitored off-grid system that integrates weather data and controls loads.  E.g. it currently decides when to turn on the well pump based on the weather forecast and the battery soc.  It also controls the midnite classic controller's charge stages to provide a more refined charging profile.  E.g. if the batteries are at more than 85% SoC at 9am in the morning, then go straight to float for that day and skip absorb.  When it does decide to do an absorb it ends absorb based on the Amps going into the battery, not the total amps through the charge controller.

It's a "hacky" solution, but all the software is open and the hardware freely available so shouldn't be too tough to repurpose for other inverters... as long as the manufacturer has made it possible to interface with third party software.  Both Midnite and SMA have done an excellent job in this respect.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
Hi Stephen,
Welcome to the forum.
There's a special spot for micro-controller projects associated with RE if you feel like posting more info.
In the meantime I'll check out your blog...

... hey you've gone beyond data logging and are well into SCADA territory. 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
Hi Stephen,
Welcome to the forum.
There's a special spot for micro-controller projects associated with RE if you feel like posting more info.
In the meantime I'll check out your blog...

... hey you've gone beyond data logging and are well into SCADA territory.
SparWeb:
 I have to agree.
 As a Mod, I would normally nuke the first timer's links, BUT it has so much info and he's not  pimping his site for "hits" so I left it alone.

stephendv1:
Welcome to the asylum  ;)
There is an area that people are beginning to use for control or automation (Mango, Homebuilt, Raspberry Pi,etc)
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/board,42.0.html
As I learn Java and OO, the Mango was a nice easy read through.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard