Author Topic: Do your own tri-fuel conversion without a collar kit.  (Read 25590 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Do your own tri-fuel conversion without a collar kit.
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 12:47:24 PM »
Nice write up!!
Next project  ;) hooking the muffler up for heat scavenging for hot water.
If you'd like a moderator can always go in a edit the write up if you're edit time has expiered.
Just let us know.
Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

badkins100

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »
Thanks. Will do. I guess a man who has himself as a proof-reader, has a fool as a proof-reader.  Sometimes my mistakes take me until the next day to materialize for me.

Another item for those wanting to modify their generator engine with a direct venturi feed, and  those studying "how to" materials about propane conversions is,,  The Garretson Impco KN type regulator is the safety feature. You could run a stream of propane into the breather and make the engine run. But it would not be fuel efficient, nor would it respond properly to throttle increase and decrease. And if your engine died, you would have a continuing flow of propane until someone shut it off.  The regulator must have a vacuum to release the flow of propane. If the engine dies, no propane will flow. And aside from the safety feature, it also precisely administers propane according to how much vacuum is calling on it. This is why the feed tube needs to be in the narrowest part of the carb throat (venturi). That is where the greatest vacuum is.

badkins100

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Just for comparison, here is the Honda 690 on the 16kw with a professional conversion from CMD.  I am not sure if this engine came with this carb and setup and CMD added the gen head, or if they bought and modified it at CMD. It does not seem to have any main jets for gasoline at all,, so it appears to be a special carb for vapor gas fuel.  It has no choke feature either, which is not needed with vapor fuel.  At any rate,, it is first class and much neater than mine. ;D

I noticed they didn't angle cut the tubes inside the venturi like I did.   Also here is a photo of the type Load Block I couldn't seem to find.  I've ordered the parts and am going to make 5 of these shortly so I can put one on my Briggs regulator and have a few for friends who's wives are going to make them convert to propane and set up a generator room after they see us sleeping and living in comfort when the power is out. :D

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:04:23 AM by badkins100 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »
That is a first rate looking adaptation
Brings me back to the good ole days of having a drill press, and having the time to do stuff like that.
Holley double-pumpers were my favorite units to mod.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

badkins100

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
Oh I see how it works now. Two stubby feed tubes inserted into the venturi of the carb, then those are fed via the manifold, which covers over them both, and only one hose needed.  They eliminated my use of the T to bring fuel to both of my feed tubes.

badkins100

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
I've been trying to find out something about the thin but wide aluminum device which is attached where the bowl would go.  It seems that Honda does sell "dry fuel" parts and also sell vapor fueled engines. 

That same carb on the Honda, if you added a 90 degree turn-down elbow which connects to intake, and a 90 degree elbow turn-up, which the breather sits on, would be nearly identical to my Briggs 2bbl.  It looks like the Honda carb was designed to be used sitting with venturi bore running vertical, while my Briggs sits with the venturi bores running horizontal.  Both choke and throttle butterflies look identical on each. 

Honda just left off the bowl and float, removed the main jets and placed "spud-in" tubes where the jets were, then uses the aluminum thin/wide vessel to replace the gasoline style bowl and installed a propane supply.  I can't find the Honda part (bowl replacement) like I see on this engine so far,, but Honda authorized repair companies can by logging on to order. Today was the first mention of "dry fuels" officially by Honda Inc. I have ever heard.  But still,, the carb is a dedicated propane carb and not a tri-fuel.