Logged in users > User Diaries

A tale of two inverters

<< < (2/2)

wpowokal:
During the above trials and tribulations, specifically when the inverter would not act as a charger with greater than 6 amps, and still does not.

I cobbled together this beast...

It utilities a transformer out of a dead inverter, but the charge current was not enough so I placed a auto transformer in line to boost the primary volts to 300, that made it sit up and dance. It was housed inn a locked cabinet so never made it to being self enclosed.

Still having fun in the jungle.

Allan

wpowokal:
OK another part of this tale involves a 5Kva diesel genset of Chinese origin, a wiz bang silenced model that failed after 9 hours service.

Uncovered it looks like this...

With a temporary fuel tank connected the motor started easily, well it took quite a lot of battery power ..

My trusty ute was used to supply this battery grunt, and start it did, but alas no terminal volts from the generator, even after flashing the 12V charging circuit. So digging a little deeper I uncovered the excitation capacitor that look very suspect, and yes at ...

A fraction of the rated capacitance at least one problem was found, and duly replaced with a metal can capacitor, in a different position so it was not immediately adjacent to the exhaust muffler.

This time flashing the field apparently did not help but loading it did and we had power...

We still have some wiring to sort out, as found all wires disappeared into a potted black box, I am rewiring it to basic protection and stop start. But suffice to say a genset that had been pushed into a corner for 9 years is now a functional unit.

oztules:
Good to see your still doing good up there.

I find it hard to get excited about HF inverters, and apart from the low idle currents, can't find too much to be pleased about.
The other problem is you can't reverse feed them, and so need big solar chargers, when a cheap grid tie inverter will do just as well, and run the house during the day, easing the loads on the inverter

You can get the idling currents down on the LF models if you try though.

Something like this project. http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?topic=780.0  Gets the best of all worlds, and I can recommend it against abuse..... including putting the output into the input ( it's a UPS too) ... makes an unseemly noise, but shuts off without death... on more than one occasion..... ( not too bright here).

Have seen it reverse feed 80 amps into the battery bank  (48v) while fiddling with it and my solar arrays... from over 4kw of solar into three grid tie inverters..... yep were as mad down here as those gone troppo up there. It has enormous start up power too.... ie 9 inch grinder starts instantly.... no wind up at all.

They are also cheap as nuts too.

The regulators for that genset are available on aliexpress and ebay for very little money too.

.......oztules

wpowokal:
Hi Tules, thanks for your response, interesting project you pointed to, unfortunately I lack your background so it is more rip tare bust for me, all the time hoping something works, generally just applying basic principles all the time hoping to solve the problem.

Allan of FNQ hoping for rain 

domi:
Allan of Wokolup,

Good to fall into one of your tales of abject misery again! Interesting read! What are you growing up there, any plantation? Have you got a mill there?

dominic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version