Author Topic: cheap chinese mppt controllers  (Read 2802 times)

bob golding

cheap chinese mppt controllers
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
can you parallel the cheap chinese MPPT controllers? i know they are not really MPPT but appear to do something. as winter is getting close i am not getting a lot out of my panels at the moment so thought i might try one of the cheap ones. i cant afford a "proper" controller like a tri star mppt at the moment, but as my ts45 have just died i will need to replace it sometime. i am not using the wind turbine as i still need to fix it so am relying on solar and genny back up. if i get as really good day of full sun i may get 15 amps if i am lucky but unlikely to get more than 10 amps. rather than  run a 10 amp one near its maximum i though get 2 15 amp ones and parallel them? by that i mean feed 3 of my 5 panels into one and the other 2 panels  into the other one, and connect them both the battery bank.  if that makes sense. i have a 5 core cable from the panels so no problem splitting them.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: cheap chinese mppt controllers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
what do you have for panels? Chinese stuff is notorious for going up in smoke too with no warranty

joestue

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »
yes as long as the panels are separate you aren't really operating the mppt converters in parallel anyway.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

bob golding

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »
yes as long as the panels are separate you aren't really operating the mppt converters in parallel anyway.

thats what i thought, but always worth running things past a few others before  letting the magic smoke out.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.