Microcontrollers > Microcontrollers/General

Arduino suitable for cold climate?

(1/3) > >>

SparWeb:
I've been giving thought to ways to build up a datalogging system based on an arduino.  Seen some examples that I like.  Wondering how well these do in the deep cold.  Say, -40C (roughly equal to -40F).  I would be keeping the arduino outside, close to the electronics being monitored.  So far my charge controllers and inverters seem to handle the cold just fine.  But is the Arduino also proven to work in the cold?

Also thinking it would be interesting, maybe even convenient to make a container to put electronics "up top", meaning in a nacelle behind the generator and relaying the data with an Xbee (or something similar and appropriate to arduino) down to a ground receiver.  The details of stable power supply and avoiding contamination are obvious, but there may be surprises unforseen.  Any warnings?

Any experience trying these sorts of things (or knowledge of where to look or to ask, too) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SparWeb:
Picking through the datasheet, I can find most components on the board are rated for -40C or below, but then I found that there is an old LM358 op-amp (wow such an old spec on a board otherwise covered in novel things) on the USB power supply line that's only rated for -25C...
But still no solid reports of trouble at low temperatures...

madlabs:
Spar,

No experience with temps that cold. But I have played with the Xbee's using a few different micros and found them easy to use. Some of the mesh type networks were hard to set up, but point to point was easy. No problems with crappy data and I don't find them susceptible to noise. Decouple cap was all I ever used. Range not quite as good as they say unless you really get into the antenna but very good.

Jonathan

DamonHD:
I'd be amazed if the PCB and other mechanical parts were happy at -40C, for a consumer-grade item, but it's cheap enough to just try one and see, maybe.

Rgds

Damon

OperaHouse:
I remember years ago we were asked  to bid a sewage pump sequencer.  They sent us a competitors board.  That had a half watt resistor glued on top the micro.  Thought that was a novel approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version