Author Topic: wood stove under $1,000  (Read 4180 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
wood stove under $1,000
« on: December 16, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »
Looking at a wood stove for emergency backup heat and maybe to supplement on really cold nights. $1,000 budget so I have enough left over for 25 feet of double wall chimney

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: wood stove under $1,000
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
the jotul 602cb might fall into that price range.  the "CB" stands for clean burn.  the older ones are just the 602. 

i bought a used 602 for $100.  granted it had cracks in the cast that i brazed shut, and i also made an entire 1/4" plate steel fire box within the firebox. 

they had very little fire shielding in the early models, and as the generations continued, they added more and more to prevent the cast iron from cracking.  thus the 1/4" box within a box. 

the 602 still holds as the highest number of production stoves in the world.  some say there have been more 602's built than all other woodstoves combined, but i doubt that a bit. 

it's not a huge unit, but that's probably good as it will take up less space when not being fired.  i think they put out ~25,000 btus?? 

adam

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
what about a 50-or- 100gallon steel drum, then buy the barrel stove kit at lowes or home depo...shouldent be more than 100 bucks for  all...
load it up at night and turn the damper down -should burn all night..
had one in my shop--they really throw out the heat....
WILD in ALASKA

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »
This will be in my living room so no barrel stove. Option 2 is a pellet stove, might be easier on my back with no wood cutting and splitting. Local wood sellers want way to much. By the time I add u p time, gas, pain... pellets are looking better. Plus much simpler exhaust system

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »
Generally a wood pellet stove still needs electricity to operate. Dan (friend) put one in his house but also has a off grid backup system he uses for his work shop and back fed his house for over 10 days last year. I always keep two large bags of coal for my wood stove. If I get sick I can use the coal for a couple of days and If I go somewhere for 2 + days It will keep the house from freezing with one good load of coal. I heat and cook with wood. There is no other power source for heat. Works for me.  13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:43:34 AM »
By spring I will have 2400 watts of solar and over 800amp hour of battery. So power is not a problem, the pellet stove I am looking at is AC/12 VDC so easy to power in an outage, draws a couple amps is all too.