Remote Living > Housing

Energy independent home

(1/4) > >>

davidwillis:
I hope this is the correct section to put this in, but it looks good to me. I am working on getting our home setup to be energy independent (meaning it won't have any energy costs). I have been working on this goal for a couple years now, and have just made a video of my progress so far.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLMEtp1SC64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLMEtp1SC64

I also have a website that describes what I am doing

www.independenthomeenergy.com

Plans I have beyond what I have done so far is to put up hot water solar panels to heat my hot water during the summer, add a second array of grid tie panels with battery backup, add an attached green house onto my house so I can have fresh vegetables year around, and grow trees around my property to supply my wood for my wood boiler (I plan on growing 3-4 rows poplars close together around the boarder of my property). I think this should be enough wood to keep me in supply...

Some other thought I have been considering in the future for fun:

1- replace my wood boiler with a true wood gasifier that runs a gen set to produce power. The waste heat from the water cooled engine and exhaust will be used to heat the hot water.

2- I would like to see if I can make a digester to produce methane, and convert my electric range and dryer over to running on methane.

So far what I have done is very exciting and has been working extremely well. My power bill has gone down from $200-300 per month to $30-$50 per month, and should be down to zero or even getting paid by the power company when I am done. I have learned a lot on these forums while getting ideas for what I am doing, so I would like to share what I have done here and would like to know if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts on what I am doing.

Thanks for reading.

Mary B:
Poplar is a very poor fuel wood, burns fast almost like paper.

And look out for government, they are going after off grid home owners.

Bruce S:
Begin Moderator ModeNormally as a new member, we don't allow website links. However I looked and yours seems to be mainly a place to store your progress (I.E. Your not trying to sell stuff)
I'll let it slide for now, BUT if a long term member complains, I'll have to remove the link.
The YouTube can stay. It's nicely done, too.
End Moderator ModeI trust you understand.
Looks like you're up in Big Sky country.
Cheers
Bruce S

davidwillis:
Thanks Bruce, I appreciate you letting this stay, and I would understand if you had to remove it.  I don't want to upset anyone.

MaryAlana,
I know poplar is not a good wood for burning, but I don't know of a tree that will grow fast, close together and survive in my climate.  I would like a fast growing hard wood, that you can cut down, and it would just grow right back, but I don't know of one.  Do you have any better suggestions for me?

Thanks

davidwillis:
One tree I would like to grow is black locust, but I don't think they would grow close together, and I am not sure how fast they would grow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version