Remote Living > Housing

Energy independent home

<< < (4/4)

Mary B:
Junk yard scavenge can net a lot of the parts cheap. Biggest would be a hydraulic power pack of some sort to run a ram. Look into solar hot air collectors too, I use one and it helps even on -20 degree days.

davidwillis:
So basically I need to get the weeds chopped up, and wet, then compress it into a log, and let it dry?  Most information I find has people using paper and/or sawdust.  I may be able to get some sawdust, would it help to add that to the weeds/grass? 

My biggest concern is that it would be a full time job all summer to get enough compressed logs to heat my house all winter.  I am fine spending a few days or even a week doing this, but I go through 3 cords of wood, so I need a lot.

Also, does these compressed logs contain more or less energy per cord as wood?  I know there are a lot of variations of wood, but is it close?

Mary B:
Google found this
"Straw heat logs are made from agricultural residues such as wheat and rapeseed straw (stalks) although straw from a large number of crops can be used.

Straw heat logs burn reasonably well if the quality is good.

They come in cylindrical logs and briquettes.

Problems can arise from straw having high levels of silica.

Silica forms clinker during combustion.

This may not be a problem in a hearth or simple wood burner although more sophisticated burners with fans and lambda controls can be damaged by build up of silica and clinker on sensors and boiler tubes.

Straw also has higher ash levels than wood, around 3-5% so will require ash removal more frequently.

Straw logs have a energy content of around 15-16Mj/Kg, at around 12% moisture, similar to kiln dried firewood.

Quality straw logs light easily and burn reasonably well with good flames.

Their slightly lower energy content and higher ash content is usually offset by a slightly lower price."

Made from dried straw so dried lawn clippings, leaves etc would all work but you would have to experiment. Saw one guy was making them but right now it is one per hour, I would think higher pressures would cure it faster to speed that up

davidwillis:
Thanks, that is very good information.  I plan to try to make some this summer to test this winter.

It sounds very promising.

Amy:
Good info..thankyou

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version