Author Topic: Magnet glue.  (Read 1733 times)

john8750

Magnet glue.
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
OK  I have magnets and metal plates. I need to glue them down. Like JB weld or what would be better?
Going to make a sail actuated yoke with 3X2 inch metal plates bolted inside the yoke, then glue 2X1X1/4 mags to the inside of the plates. I will start with 200 turns around a 1 1/2 inch coil form of #22 wire.
I have a good supply of choppy one directional wind. And realize the electrical current produced will be mostly unusable. I'm just enjoying working on collecting free energy.
 8)

Thanks
John Smith
Keep the fun in it. Give me sun light.
John Smith

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Magnet glue.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
JB weld works okay, magnets will stay put on their own pretty good

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Magnet glue.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
Do it for fun - that's the best reason of all.

JB Weld is OK.  It's how you apply it that's most important.  Wipe off any oil/dirt/rust as carefully as you can first.  A bit of sanding (to the metal plate) wouldn't hurt either.  Try to have enough glue to squeeze out around the sides without going overboard.  A fillet or a bead of glue all around the edge will keep water from getting between magnet and plate, which would both corrode and freeze/thaw split the joint (if you live where it gets cold enough, of course). 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca