Author Topic: Vortex Hydro system  (Read 18985 times)

12AX7

Re: Vortex Hydro system
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »
Last summer our local DNR waded up a short section of the river by me,  they were shocking and doing a fish population study.  While talking to one of their biologist she told me that they didn't want to see "dam like"  obstructions in the river because slowing the river down caused the water to warm up,  and this part of the river being a Brook trout habitat needs to be cold to support the trout.

I find it interesting that the "by product" of the vortex tunnel is lowering the water temp, the fish biologists should be thrilled!   I also wonder if the action of the turbulence would cause a change in the O2 content?

phil b

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »
Harold, I'd be interested in hearing about your Aquaponics system.  ::)
Phil

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 11:48:04 PM »
I also wonder if the action of the turbulence would cause a change in the O2 content?
Any time you create turbulence in the presence of air, you increase the O2 concentration in the water.  The cooler the water, the better the oxygen transfer, down to 4*C

Turtle
soli deo gloria

Harold in CR

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 06:18:04 AM »

Phil b
 Have you seen the thread under "Housing" board, about my green house/aquaponics ? If you haven't, look it up and ask there, and I will try to answer your questions as bet I can. I would rather not clutter up this thread, if possible.  Thanks, Harold

Harold in CR

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:57 AM »

Now, I have a new problem. My motors on the air pumps in the fish tank in the green house are going bad, running 16 hours/day. They are small piston types, so, as the water drains from each grow bed, I am thinking about connecting the drain pipes in groups of 2, and making some plastic vortex devices to drive those pumps. That way, they can be operated as the water drains from 2 grow beds, every 20 minutes or so, for about 1-2 minutes of drain. Each grow bed has a ¾" PVC tube that drops the water back into the fish tank. I could, therefore, have up to 4 of these air pumps running alternatively to keep the water aerated and the fish healthy. Will need to gear up for faster air pump revs.

The video I linked to earlier in this thread, gave me that idea.  Anyone have any concerns ?

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
some shower heads and buckets would work way better, tons of surface area for diffusion of gasses and added cooling via evapouration.

I hate those air pumps, noisy, failure prone, I used a 360gph pump a 5 foot 4" pvc tube, shower head on the top, used a 45 degree Y and a fan to force air up the stack. a second tube connected perallel to control water level using a toilet style water fill.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

phil b

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 06:52:25 AM »
Thanks Harold.
I have used Thomas air pumps for almost 20 years. They ran 24/7-365. Normally they would last 5- 8 years before they needed a diaphragm kit. http://www.grainger.com/product/THOMAS-Piston-Air-Compressor-Vacuum-WP58746/_/N-aew?s_pp=false They are a bit noisy, but a muffler made from scrap PVC would fix that. You'd need a cheap inverter to run it.

I was thinking you might take the effluent from 3/4" tank outlet and let it swirl around the largest plastic funnel you could find to pick up more dissolved oxygen. A shower head, as Xeonpony suggested  could be attached to the bottom of the funnel. I'm guessing you may have plant matter or other debris in the water so you may need to enlarge the holes in the head.

I process black water from my trailer using this type of free piston pump. http://www.ebay.com/itm/POND-HYDROPONIC-AQUARIUM-AIR-PUMP-40LPM-W-MANIFOLD-/221383299093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338b791015 The pumps have been running continiously in the weather for a year before I had to replace them. Inside a greenhouse and with a little care, they'd last much much longer. The pump has a free piston with no crankshaft or rod to go bad and are simple to rebuild.
Phil

Harold in CR

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 05:11:39 PM »

To update this thread a bit, the dry season all but dried up the spring fed creek. I walked up the creek bed on the neighbors side and found they had boxed in the spring with a concrete structure. A 4" outflow pipe was set in the concrete wall about 20" up from the main water level. They have, in effect, created back pressure on that spring and cut down the flow.  >:(

Finally we got into the wet season and another walk to that spring showed the water has finally found a way to flow out of the creek bank a bit, right next to that box. ALSO,  ;D The neighbors have lost the farm, due to non payment. In the next day or so, I am headed to that box with my 8# sledge hammer, and do some modding.  ;D 8)

I had been cleaning the cow poop and brush, weeds, leaves, etc., out of the creek, and could see that small dam I had built a couple years ago from 100 feet away. Wife and I walked down the hill to the creek bed, and,  :o a couple of 45+ feet tall trees broke off and fell into-across that creek, right where I was planning to have the trough run to flow the water to the Vortex Turbine.  ::) Now, I have to pack the chainsaw over 100' down the hill, then back up, and cut all that stuff and clear it to where it won't wash in from the flash floods.

It has been raining quite a bit, and, last night, rained a hard rain most of the night. Now, there is approximately 60 GPM running down the creek.  Also, I think I might buy a heavy PVC-ABS ? water tank. They come in 24" 36" 48" 60" diameters and the top is formed to a much smaller diameter.  I can cut the bottom off and use that as an open top grow bed for the green house, turn that tank upside down, and, cut a small section of the wall away, and open it up to fit the trough and create that vortex. Building that spiral rotor will not be a big problem, either. I can cut circles out of sheet steel, and make 1 cut from the center hole, out, and then force the cut edges apart, to make that spiral "Archimedes" auger type rotor, AND, as I spread the cut discs apart, they will "CUP" so, they will slightly catch the water as it swirls down. Make progressively smaller discs and weld them together on the rotor shaft.

Have magnets being shipped down in a couple of weeks, and, have been reading up on rewinding burnt motors I have to make PM generators. Now, I will be about 250' from the 8KW Electric car battery I just bought and need to ship down. That's 4KW for the house, to start out and 4KW for my electric bicycle-motorcycle I have been working on.

Also have my Lenz2 3' diameter X 6' tall VAWT wind turbine nearly built. Need to get a couple bearings and a center shaft and get that mounted up, then dig into the ground and set the frame to hold that turbine, RIGHT NEAR the neighbors house they are stripping before they leave the farm in the next few days, and before the Bank catches them doing this.  ::)

Things are looking up, down here in the jungle.  ;D

Harold