Author Topic: Hello, New To Forum....Need Help with pedal power...  (Read 4156 times)

jerryrig

Hello, New To Forum....Need Help with pedal power...
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »
Hello, I am new to the site.  I am in the process of doing research on building a pedal powered generator out of a treadmill motor I got for free.  Every time I looked something up this site would always show up.  So, seeing that there is a ton of info here on this topic, I thought I would join.

Anyhow, here is what I am needing to know.  I understand that you need a blocking diode on your battery for the generator.  So, what size of diode do I need? and will i have trouble with heat? and will I need a heat sink?  And what is a heat sink?  Here are the specs of my motor

P.M.D.C Motor Model ZDY082-MNT-071
P/N= 295727
2.75 HP Treadmill Duty @130VDC
2.00 HP CONT.DUTY @ 100VDC/1492 WATTS
INS.CLASS N
OPEN CONST.
EXTERNAL FAN

This motor has 4 wires coming from it.  Red and Black and two Dark Blue wires.  My son and I took a old flash light bulb and touched it to the red and black wire and the bulb would light up with no problem.  So, I also know that when I turn the motor one direction or another that it changes the pos and neg wires.  So, how will I know which one is what when I turn it.  And which wire will I have to connect my diode and what direction?  I think this may be it so far for all of my questions, so if I have any more I will let you know.  Help soon would be great, we have had some power outages this winter and I would really like this going soon to make it the rest of the winter if need be.  That way, when I get this going, we can pedal for cell phone, ipad pad and stuff.  Thanks again. :D

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Hello, New To Forum....Need Help with pedal power...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:03:11 PM »
FIRST
Welcome to the forum

OKay, with all the questions you're throwing out there  ;), we better see what you have in the area of tools, so you can get a handle on what and how.
First, do you have a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter)? If not, can you get one cheap? Look for a H.F. or radio shack near you. HF has them on sale all the time for about $4, usually comes with the first battery too.
Knowing the motor will light a light bulb is nice , but what type of light bulb? how many batteries were in the flashlight? 1, 2 or 4? old ones I have use 2 C cells, which comes in at 3Vdc for the bulb.
That's okay for "does the motor work" test, but you'll need more to charge stuff.
The motor, Does it possibly have any other ratings? should be something like RPM on it.
Usually a good rule of thumb is Volts/RPM= Voltage per revolution. Knowing this is VERY important.
ONCE you have that you'll then know how many Revs per minute you'll need to sustain to get a specific voltage out.

This is a good start, the meter is important too, but you don't need to spend major money to get basic information.
Come back with the info when you can we'll help you get there.
Cheers;
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »
Diodes will either have the diode symbol or a band on them, on either the band end would point to the battery with the diode in the positive wire. If you get it backwards the motor will spin, just flip it over.

jerryrig

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
FIRST
Welcome to the forum

OKay, with all the questions you're throwing out there  ;), we better see what you have in the area of tools, so you can get a handle on what and how.
First, do you have a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter)? If not, can you get one cheap? Look for a H.F. or radio shack near you. HF has them on sale all the time for about $4, usually comes with the first battery too.
Knowing the motor will light a light bulb is nice , but what type of light bulb? how many batteries were in the flashlight? 1, 2 or 4? old ones I have use 2 C cells, which comes in at 3Vdc for the bulb.
That's okay for "does the motor work" test, but you'll need more to charge stuff.
The motor, Does it possibly have any other ratings? should be something like RPM on it.
Usually a good rule of thumb is Volts/RPM= Voltage per revolution. Knowing this is VERY important.
ONCE you have that you'll then know how many Revs per minute you'll need to sustain to get a specific voltage out.

This is a good start, the meter is important too, but you don't need to spend major money to get basic information.
Come back with the info when you can we'll help you get there.
Cheers;
Bruce S

Okay, so, as far as tools.....I have all basic hand tools.....mulit meter? No, I planned on buying a new one any way.

As far as the light bulb.  It was just a old school bulb, the kind of bulb from the old school 2 D battery flash lights from back in the day.

As far as RPM, no, it does not have anything on the sticker :(

I am just curious at what size diode do I need, as far as amps is concerned.....I might be able to do some foot work and see if I can find out what RPM's this motor might be.  Thanks for posting back!!! I will get more specs and hopefully have more info.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
For now just get a cheapo meter, better for beginning anymore than $4.00USD is almost too much.
When you can come back with RPM's that would be great.
I didn't see the make/model of the treadmill. IF you have that post it, sometimes they have the info in their online specs.
I have the old school types and they're just 3Vdc.
Diodes are pretty cheap too, a 1n4004 should do for know, just for beginning. You should be able to find those even at radio-shack
Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

jerryrig

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13:59 PM »
     So far the project is on the back burner.....I am still doing more research.......I keep looking up stuff for tread mill bike generators and keep watching wind turbine videos ;)........anyhow, no RPM info.      I even called the company and everything and they don't keep those records for their treadmills.  The motor is from a pro form model 600.  That is the only thing I know.  I plan on getting a voltage meter this week so I can do some tests.  Just really waiting for it to warm up out side so I don't freeze in my little shop.    What amp is that diode, and would a bridge rectifier work also? Are they not one in the same?  Also, would I have to worry about over heating on the diode?  Thanks for getting back with me........any more tips and help will be great.