Author Topic: thoughts on generators  (Read 3940 times)

cardamon

thoughts on generators
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:27:49 AM »
Just kinda brainstorming here and looking for recommendations and/or feedback from folks who have experience with any of these ideas.  Here are my needs:  about 8,000 watts, ability for push button start, could be propane or gas.  I am off grid, but will rarely need the generator for charging or low input days so I dont care about any coordination with the RE system.  Its primary use will be to run the larger power tools and welder - hence the electric start requirement, so I can just have a remote start button in the shop and fire it up when I need the table saw or to lay a bead.  I was thinking about one of those cheap 8KW generac or briggs propane standby generators.  My concerns with those are that they are presumed to run a dozen hours per year.   OTOH, so far Ive had cheap portable gensets to date which are probably assumed to be the same duty and they hold up for years.  One other concern is that they all seem to have proprietary transfer switches intended for grid connection.  I assume it wouldnt be too big a deal to hack it to run at my command, but then again maybe its all a stupid sealed unit and could be a hassle?.....Another option would an electric start portable gas job.  I could hack the ignition switch and run the remote switch in to the shop.  Only concern is I am not sure if the choke on those is automatic.  I suppose I could extend the cable into the shop, just a bit more of a hassle.  It looks like the propane standby would be about 2K, the electric start portable would be $1200.  A heavier duty commercial unit would be nice for longevity but it way out of the budget range.  Any thoughts?

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: thoughts on generators
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »
Get an Onan or a honda, Kubota any thing ells yer pissing into the wind and making your life harder for no reason.

if you are very cold climate forget propane or diesel less you designed heating systems for them.

if in a hot or temperate go with diesel in my opinion.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:21:51 PM »
RV generator is setup for what you want.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
yup, hence an Onan,  I Have a 3Kw AJ remote start.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

cardamon

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:59:23 PM »
Onan is definitely a nice product, but out of my price range at this point.   I will probably go with an electric start portable and make a remote start switch, and maybe a solenoid to control the choke. 

just-doug

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:26:10 PM »
linlcon ln9 come up at autions very reasonable.could set up against a wall in the shop with you and pipe the exahst threw the wall.9000 thousand watts and 220 volts aux.vary nice machines

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »
+1 on the portable welder idea

however i would tend toward a miller product, preferrably one that produces 120/240 at 1800rpm and welds at 3000-3600rpm

most are very well built, made to run for many many hours, and are as dependable as they come.

you can even find them made to run on propane  or rather having the propane conversion kit installed if that is useful to you.  for intermittent use i would think propane might be something to consider because of the infinite shelf life and no issues relating to alcohol problems with carburetor.

fwiw

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »
You mentioned your requirements included to power a welder as well s some heavier power tools IE table saw.
 Not sure how deep your pockets are, you did mention you need to get out with the least expense as possible.
 Some good suggestions about hitting some auctions and engine driven welders as well.
 A miller Bobcat 225 will have 8000w of power 120/240 @ 1800RPM this will have about 18 HP air cooled  they could have  Onan, Briggs, or even a Suburu diesel. One thing to check for if buying used is the  overall condition the oil will probably have been recently changed so will look clean, ram a cloth swab as far into the exhaust as possible  then examine it. Some will clean the exhaust pipe to make things look good but rarely more than a few inches inside. Black carbon soot is pretty normal but if it is oily pass it by and look at another, even heavy dry soot can mean a carburetor rebuild and tune up which shouldn't scare anyone too much if the machine will start easy and run smooth the way it is.
 If buying at an auction it is difficult to put a load on the generator or the welder portion unless it has the welding leads on it but you should at least have a multimeter with you that can check AC/DC volts & HZ.
 A welder/generator with only 8000 watts will have trouble pulling a 200 amp or larger 240v mig welder but will with no problems handle a CV/CC suitcase wire feeder for light duty welding.
  I have several engine driven welders, a Miller Bobcat  225 a Miller big 40, a Hobart 300 gas, a Hobart champion, & a Generac 4500 to name a few not one of them will pull my Miller 210 mig, but my motor coach has a  14 KW Kubota powered by a V120BG1 diesel 21HP @1800RPM  it will power the mig and both Air-conditioners, the cook top plus everything else  like the TV  2 computers, the Fridge ETC. at the same time.
  So a lot depends on your needs both in the short term and long term when considering your generator.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin