Author Topic: oscillating fan motor as generator.... need help  (Read 3299 times)

pkmawi

oscillating fan motor as generator.... need help
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »
hi... first i'd like to say that i am no mechanic or electrician or anything of that sort... seeing all the things people made from scratch made me want to do something too...and since electricity has always been an issue in my town i wanted to make a generator... since this is a first for me...well i did some small scale project already but they are different..with tiny motors i got off of old deck tapes and such.. now what i have is an oscillating fan, those that stand on a pedestal, i already have various methods of spinning the alternator...the problem i face now is that it just won't produce any electricity...from some research i did i found out that what i have is an "inductance motor" and i will have to get current passing into the "field coil" for it to produce power. i need help with that part...how much voltage or current do i need to input into the field coil?? will a DC 12volt do the job ? if yes than i could rig up a 12v battery to it...and is this current needed just for the start or does it have to be connected always...????

joestue

Re: oscillating fan motor as generator.... need help
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
induction motors smaller than about 1/4 hp are not capable of generating electricity due to the electrical efficiency being below 50%.

Replace the rotor with a magnet(s) if you want to experiment.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.