Poll

Why did you get involved in alternative energy?

Just for fun
17 (56.7%)
to save money
2 (6.7%)
I had no electricity where I live
9 (30%)
Beacause I THOUGHT I would save money
1 (3.3%)
I don't really know
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Why did you get involved in alternative energy?  (Read 35493 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Why did you get involved in alternative energy?
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 10:48:26 PM »
Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016

Quote from: Bruce S
There needs to be a selection for "Learning or Education"

I never realized how much this is needed, for basic education.

You don't see that as you do when a good new member gets way advanced feedback. I realized this after we lost images and broken links.

We lost that framework the information is not there for a newbie. Were on a level so far over there heads they just give up.

JW

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 04:01:44 AM »
I did not fill this Poll in, as the possible answers were far to flippant/light weight.

Folk across the world would have contributed to this important POLL subject, Alternative Energy, if it was better thought out.

On many World wide Forums I see people who are studying RE etc, and they have a overcomplicated search Monkey Polls, which have silly questions that are obviously biased towards a particular outcome. But at least they are trying.

Come on Fieldlines, do a real POLL survey.

More Suggested Questions for the POLL,

1.     RE, because I had a philosophy of trying to save this Planet for my children's children.

2.     RE, Making  a lot of my own stuff, As a cost effective solution for power generation in todays world.

3.    The main utility Grid has become so unreliable with more than 20 outages, minutes to days, each year.

4.    Education, to pass on, open information to the next generation. 

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

george65

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 05:43:20 AM »

You don't see that as you do when a good new member gets way advanced feedback. I realized this after we lost images and broken links.

We lost that framework the information is not there for a newbie. Were on a level so far over there heads they just give up.

JW

The thing with catering to newbs with this sort of thing is it is very difficult to explain nearly anything if they don't have some basic knowledge themselves and many seem not to.
Looking at the replies here, a lot of people had the curiosity from a kid and went from there. I think it's a bit like a little girl watching her mother put on makeup.  A 10 yo inherently knows things a bloke ( straight anyway) just has no clue about.

I was like someone else mentioned, pulling toys apart to rebuild them or get and motors and lights etc. I understood an electrical circuit before I went to school. As a teenageer, I was the go to for every guy that got their first ( or 15th) car and wanted to add something electrical. Stereo, graphic equaliser, driving lights, CB radio, alarm etc.  Lots of guys could rebuild and engine in a weekend but knowing what red and black wires were, Nup! From there you just progress.

For people that don't have this sort of background to work from, I think nearly everything is over their heads. If they just decide one day they want to do their own solar setup or save money by going off grid, it's a hell of a job to start at step 1 and doing so and showing the learning curve will probably scare them off anyway.

That said, maybe people could contribute some articles of various things they are proficient in.  Still might be hard as everything you say might need to be explained and how do you do that? Have a thread that grows endlessly and the info gets buried or people start a new thread specifically?

I don't know but if I can contribute something, not that I know beans, I'd be glad to help.

I'll say one thing that I think has improved this site immensely over the latter period I have been here.
The greenwashing has stopped.  When I first got here it was the typical alternative energy site. All about saving the world and rammed down your throat every 5 Min.
 Not everyone is into that or gives a damn but the fact they are doing it is what the environmentalists want anyway.  I'm over all the Co2, gloBULL warming crap so if things stay as they are where it's on the technical more than there is something wrong with you is you don't worship the green religion, I think it will make for a much better place.

If you want to use the tech to save the planet, great. If I don't have that motivation,  don't try and guilt trip and force your religion on me and I won't tear apart your beliefs.  :0)

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 06:12:52 AM »
I guess it's where I live - and due to having some backup power I at least kept the freezers going for 4 days when the power went out after a 7.1 quake that broke the surface only 2km away.

11038-0

Concrete roof tiles are not a good idea!!

According to the history in GoogleEarth, the house (and all the surrounding land) moved about 4m north-east during those 45 seconds.
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
I did not fill this Poll in, as the possible answers were far to flippant/light weight.

1.     RE, because I had a philosophy of trying to save this Planet for my children's children.

2.     RE, Making  a lot of my own stuff, As a cost effective solution for power generation in todays world.

3.    The main utility Grid has become so unreliable with more than 20 outages, minutes to days, each year.

ClockmanFRA;
This poll was taken way way back in 2014.
If the polling part of the forum is working ,,, it might be good to start a new one?
See where and how things have changed in the past 3+ years :)

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »

JW

The thing with catering to newbs with this sort of thing is it is very difficult to explain nearly anything if they don't have some basic knowledge themselves and many seem not to.

I don't know but if I can contribute something, not that I know beans, I'd be glad to help.
George65;
Way way back, when I first found this forum, they used to expect people to have a modicum of knowledge before they started asking questions.
IF you started posting and had no clue of what you were talking about or worse starting spouting OU; The polite ones :), would simply ask you to read up on one of the sections first.

When the forum was updated to this style, they added a FAQ section, and Admins/Moderators would ask new member to go there to read the section they were trying to ask questions about. Alas;;:: it has muddled into way too many people asking questions in the FAQ section. In hindsight , maybe once the FAQ had just enough in it to be helpful it should've been locked into read-only?

Cheers
Bruce S

bergmanj

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
I'm one of "those folks" (not the only one here, for sure!) that keeps being told "You can't do that!" by "other people" in reaction to conversations of exploration with many who wouldn't dare think "outside the box".

Also, and among many other things, I used to work as an Instrument and Controls tech for local power co. at their 1,000 MW generating plant; then went elsewhere for a while, retired, built retirement home on 40 AC 1/2 mile away from grid; then was told by same utility that it is U. S.$12.50 per foot for the "privilege" to hook-up.  No money ahead - probably "just even"; but, good "learning", and very satisfying  to be "independent" (most of the time  -  until I need to fix something at 03:15 -30 F winter temperature, and wind blowing fiercely).

Regards,   JLB

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
I'm one of "those folks" (not the only one here, for sure!) that keeps being told "You can't do that!" by "other people" in reaction to conversations of exploration with many who wouldn't dare think "outside the box".

Regards,   JLB
Sometimes it's the way a post or request for information is posted. I'm not a student of any language , but I've seen posts where a member who is asking for help should've written it out had someone else read it, correct for grammar then post.
AND not feel offended when other forum members ask for more/better more detailed information.

This forum was partly based on the very idea of thinking outside the box.

Cheers
Bruce S

finnsawyer

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 12:34:00 AM »
     Re: Thinking outside the box.  I became interested in wind power during the energy crisis of the 1970's after I lost my position at Michigan Tech.  Being an engineer, I wanted to know how a windmill worked (all of the horizontal axis types).  Eventually, I found this site.  Ten years ago I posted my theory for their operation in a post entitled "The Betz Limit - Again".  It was promptly ignored.  So much for thinking outside the box.  Better luck next time.  8)     

bergmanj

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 09:36:20 AM »
Finnsawyer:

I've not been here for 10 years: I'm interested: Where can I see your work?

Thanks,   JLB

jlsoaz

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »

ClockmanFRA;
This poll was taken way way back in 2014.
If the polling part of the forum is working ,,, it might be good to start a new one?
See where and how things have changed in the past 3+ years :)

Cheers
Bruce S

Agree, I suggest someone take the initiative to start a new poll, perhaps (if possible) with the ability for respondents to choose more than one reason, and including a wider array of choices reflective of the variety of reasons that folks get involved.  I guess I'll take a look at doing this in the next few days, if nobody else steps up.

finnsawyer

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 12:13:56 AM »
     Note to JLB.  You should be able to find the post.  Beyond that, see if you can find my diaries.  If you're interested in applying the theory, see if you can use it to figure how a board like a one by six or two by eight gets lift.  It's important.  :)

jlsoaz

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »
     Note to JLB.  You should be able to find the post.  Beyond that, see if you can find my diaries.  If you're interested in applying the theory, see if you can use it to figure how a board like a one by six or two by eight gets lift.  It's important.  :)

The post you had mentioned seems to be here:

https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,129290.0.html

bergmanj

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »
jlsoaz,

Thanks much for the link!

Regards, JLB

jlsoaz

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 10:49:27 PM »
jlsoaz,

Thanks much for the link!

Regards, JLB

hi JLB, you're welcome, hope it proves useful.

finnsawyer

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2018, 12:19:24 AM »
     The link works.  Reply 9 is where the action lives, although the stuff before it is helpful.  It is surprising that so much of the incident air needs to flow through the rotor, although nature does act to keep the air moving.  As I implied, it should be possible  to use the theory to figure out how those old water pumpers worked.  Since that's half the universe, it has to be important.  How does a board get lift?  It needs to be considered before people forget about them.  8)   

topspeed

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2021, 07:08:10 AM »
I actually started to make one as I was informed back in 2014 that wind turbines are not profitable.

Second reason was that I don't want my daughter to become another Greta Thunberg and I myself do the things that might help to save the planet. 8)
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

Aerodynamics is highly educated guessing, worked out to 5 decimals

Scruff

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »
Pancaked battery = no internet = tea lights, pencils + drawing-board RE: more robust electrical system = internet = wrong answers = pancaked battery = no internet = torches, pencils...

What? Oh!  :-[

5 years later...robust electrical system...

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2021, 03:02:00 AM »
20 years later.

Still here, still at it.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2021, 12:45:37 PM »
Stumbled on this site years back,,when it was under, Another name,,Always liked to create something with my own hands,,Had me hooked From Day One ,,💕🙏🇺🇸
WILD in ALASKA

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2021, 01:46:37 PM »
Got tired of trying to start a gas generator at -20f(or lower)... wandered in here, stayed...

Astro

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2022, 07:45:20 PM »
My answer is not in the polls.
It started when I was a kid. I was fascinated with electricity. I like the fact that you are working with something that has such power, it can kill you, and yet you can not see it.
 Now after 45 years and some learning a little that time, I decided that why not use what I know.

Gin83

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2022, 07:58:14 AM »
Renewable energy provides reliable power supplies and fuel diversification, which enhance energy security and lower risk of fuel spills while reducing the need for imported fuels. Renewable energy also helps conserve the nation's natural resources.
So yes, green energy is the future)