Author Topic: wiring 3 micro wave transformers to act as a 3 phase unit?  (Read 3755 times)

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
wiring 3 micro wave transformers to act as a 3 phase unit?
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
basicaly the wind mill will be far away, and to transmit 800w is nothing to a microwave transformer (1Kw at 2.xKv) I can use a kilometer of 16 guage Al, wire and be under 3% voltage loss.

but I still can't think of a way to wire them to act as a 3 phase primary to a single phase secondary.

idealy I'd like to get it to a single step down transformer if pluasible
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

dbcollen

Re: wiring 3 micro wave transformers to act as a 3 phase unit?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:13:27 AM »
You just need a set of microwave transformers on each end, and a 3 phase bridge.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
ok but I need it AC 3phase turbine, three phase star transformer to 2 wire ac transmission then single phase finale step down to X voltage

the transmission line will be at 2 to 4Kv potential.

Or am I mis under standing?
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

joestue

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
three phase power is fundamentally different from single phase, which does not transmit constant power.

in anycase expect to run those microwave TX's at around 1.2-1.5 volts per hz, not 2 v/hz.
it might be practical to get 500 watts maximum through each one, peak efficiency will probably be lower, around 300-400 watts.
so, nominal voltages would be more like 90vac in maximum, and 1600v out.
you'll have to pull the magnetic shunts out, and i would fill the space with more copper, but that's not strictly necessary.

anyhow, what do you want single phase ac for?

you can't convert 3 phase to single phase without something to dump the energy into, and pull it out of.
running an induction motor off three phases and only pulling power from two of them is one way to do that, but its not very efficient.

you can convert 3 phase to two phase with a scott-T transformer, but there isn't any point in that either IMO, unless you only have two transformers to work with.

you will have to make  three x single phase, or a three phase battery charging step down transformer.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
was starting to figure there wasn't a methode was hoping.

just makes things simpler if it could have been don.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »
No you can't convert 3 phase to single phase and if you could it would not help in your case as to overcome the line loss the transformers have to be at the battery end. you can use 3 transformers to transform down to a 3phase rectifier. You can do it with two transformers in open delta if you are desperate. Scott connection will need modification to the transformers and 2 phase just is not worth considering.

Remember that microwave transformers are short time rated and also remember that the power handling drops with frequency, if your supply is less than 60Hz you will be restricted in voltage handling and power handling. If this is wind with a conventional alternator your frequency will be way down unless you go to about 60 poles ( may work with F & P motor).

Also bear in mind that if for any reason you loose load you may see 10 times nominal volts in a storm so rate your alternator and transmission line for 11kV.

Flux

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »
well the line I was specking was rated at 25Kv :) so that end should be good, or was going open air with 14.5kv rated insulaters.