Remote Living > Water

Researching rainwater catchment

<< < (2/4) > >>

CraigM:
Do a Google search for Arizona Water Tanks. All containers are made from virgin polyethylene. Virgin just means it's not made from recycled plastic.

These tanks are used for potable water.
CM

birdhouse:
i currently collect rain water via a 700 sq ft new steel roof.  it goes into a 1550 gal  polyethylene tank.  i use a first flush system...  google that for sure, it's a way to divert the first 10-??  gallons of nasty water and diverts it away from the tank and then, once it is full, it diverts cleaner water into the tank.  i'm un aware of the hexane that you speak of??  i never drink the water.  just use it for washing dishes ect. so i'm not too worried about it, but i'm still curious. 

i was under the influence that PE tanks were perfectly fine for domestic water??

adam

birdhouse:
another quick note, the beauty of PE tanks is that they can freeze solid without breaking!   

there's been more than a few occasions where i have had a 1000 gal plus solid ice cube in my tank. 

adam

electrondady1:
n-Hexane is a chemical extracted, and further quantities synthesised, from crude oil. It is used in laboratories, primarily when it is mixed with similar chemicals to produce solvents. Common names for these solvents are commercial hexane, mixed hexanes, petroleum ether, and petroleum naphtha. The major use for solvents containing n-hexane is to extract vegetable oils from crops such as soybeans, flax, peanuts, and safflower seed. They are also used as cleaning agents in the textile, furniture, shoemaking, and printing industries, particularly rotogravure printing. N-hexane is also an ingredient of special glues that are used in the roofing, shoe, and leather industries. n-Hexane is used in binding books, working leather, shaping pills and tablets, canning, manufacturing tires, and making baseballs.

Bruce S:
Once you decide or while you are deciding; you could also read over in Madlab's posts about his red neck hot tub.
There's a lot of very good information about sand filtration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version